[SOLVED] Accidental Q-flash

Jan 3, 2020
Accidentally q flashed my pc. I don’t fully understand what a flash does, will my bios settings change from it? From what I can tell bios settings are the same.
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus z390 pro WiFi.

Solution
Accidentally q flashed my pc. I don’t fully understand what a flash does, will my bios settings change from it? From what I can tell bios settings are the same.

Hi @Casefan505

In a nutshell..

Copy & Pasted:

BIOS stands for “Basic Input/Output System”, and is a type of firmware stored on a chip on your motherboard. When you start your computer, the computers boots the BIOS, which configures your hardware before handing off to a boot device (usually your hard drive).

In your Bios is where you can OC your CPU, set your RAM speed, set which SSD/HDD boots first, enable/disable onboard audio or GPU & a large number of other changes. Some of which can make your PC not turn...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED

Hi @Casefan505

In a nutshell..

Copy & Pasted:

BIOS stands for “Basic Input/Output System”, and is a type of firmware stored on a chip on your motherboard. When you start your computer, the computers boots the BIOS, which configures your hardware before handing off to a boot device (usually your hard drive).

In your Bios is where you can OC your CPU, set your RAM speed, set which SSD/HDD boots first, enable/disable onboard audio or GPU & a large number of other changes. Some of which can make your PC not turn on if you make any changes that aren't correct. Without a Bios, you would not have a modern PC as it's almost a brain of sorts, telling the rest of your PC what to do.

Does your PC boot to your Desktop OK? No issues with sound or gaming?

If you "flashed" (re-programmed) your Bios, you may have to go back in and make all of your changes again. Usually by pressing the "DEL" key when your PC 1st starts to boot. If everything is running OK, then leave the Bios alone, unless you know what you are doing.

Worst case, if you make changes and your PC will not boot. Power off the PC, remove the power cable from the back, press & hold the power button for 5 seconds, ground yourself and then remove the side cover to your case. Modern motherboards will have a dual Bios that will kick in if one does not work &/or you can manually reset your Bios back to it's default state by either jumping the bios pin (if present), removing the Bios Battery (silver battery the size of a quarter on your motherboard) for 15 mins and then reinstalling it or some motherboards have a simple button you press that resets the Bios to default. (Same function as the Bios pin jumper)

Resetting the Bios by pressing the button/removing the battery or jumping the pin only changes the setting to default and does not "re-flash" the bios.

Solution
Jan 3, 2020
Hi @Casefan505

In a nutshell..

Copy & Pasted:

In your Bios is where you can OC your CPU, set your RAM speed, set which SSD/HDD boots first, enable/disable onboard audio or GPU & a large number of other changes. Some of which can make your PC not turn on if you make any changes that aren't correct. Without a Bios, you would not have a modern PC as it's almost a brain of sorts, telling the rest of your PC what to do.

Does your PC boot to your Desktop OK? No issues with sound or gaming?

If you "flashed" (re-programmed) your Bios, you may have to go back in and make all of your changes again. Usually by pressing the "DEL" key when your PC 1st starts to boot. If everything is running OK, then leave the Bios alone, unless you know what you are doing.

Worst case, if you make changes and your PC will not boot. Power off the PC, remove the power cable from the back, press & hold the power button for 5 seconds, ground yourself and then remove the side cover to your case. Modern motherboards will have a dual Bios that will kick in if one does not work &/or you can manually reset your Bios back to it's default state by either jumping the bios pin (if present), removing the Bios Battery (silver battery the size of a quarter on your motherboard) for 15 mins and then reinstalling it or some motherboards have a simple button you press that resets the Bios to default. (Same function as the Bios pin jumper)

Resetting the Bios by pressing the button/removing the battery or jumping the pin only changes the setting to default and does not "re-flash" the bios.
My computer boots to desktop fine and the sound is fine. I just wanted to make sure it didn’t change the bios settings. From what I can tell my bio settings are the same. Thanks for your help.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
My computer boots to desktop fine and the sound is fine. I just wanted to make sure it didn’t change the bios settings. From what I can tell my bio settings are the same. Thanks for your help.

Glad to hear everything is running OK. In some cases, flashing the Bios can lead to a potential huge boost in performance as new settings from the motherboard Dev's are added. Such as the ability to fine tune your CPU or set your RGB or even tinker with the voltage going to your various components, such as RAM & CPU for example.

Anyways, glad to hear all is well.