[SOLVED] Accidentally bricked an old HDD and new HDD

Harima_Hario

Prominent
May 5, 2019
I was installing both a new power supply and HDD. I connected and old HDD to the same SATA power cable as my new HDD. When my system booted (off an SSD on a seperate SATA power cable) I noticed I could not see either HDD in the BIOS. So I then tested each HDD in a external case that has its own AC adapter. Neither HDD seems to spin when I power up the external hard drive case. My best hypothesis is something caused both of them to fry their PCB.

I've since ordered a replacement for the new HDD and confirmed it spins in my external hard drive case.
Is there a way to narrow down what caused this issue and how to prevent it in the future?

Note: Power Supply is a new EVGA G3 1000 W. HDDs were both WD Black. Used ESD strap during installation.

Solution
new PSU + old modular cables from previous PSU = fried drives

:(

Lesson learned by many the expensive expensive way, unfortunately. (don't feel bad, as it's not not intuitive/obvious)

Be glad you had no $800 ea 4 TB SSDs, etc...

Harima_Hario

Prominent
May 5, 2019
Yeah, lesson learned. Just glad I'm able to return the new hard drive.
I'll try to find a multi-meter to see if it is just a fried TVS diode. Maybe I can salvage it by replacing the diode. I just haven't used a soldering iron in over a decade.

Thank you both for the replies! (y)

Reactions: fzabkar