Question Accidentally copied my entire hdd to my new ssd when trying to move the os

Aug 25, 2019
Hello,
Recently I got and installed a new ssd into my computer. My goal with this new ssd was for it to store the OS and other frequently used apps. Following some online tutorials, I used AOEMI partition assistant’s “migrate OS to SSD” tool. After finishing, the computer began booting from the new SSD but instead of just migrating the OS, the entire HDD was cloned into the SSD. I’m not exactly sure what went wrong, and I fear that wiping one of the drives would lead to more problems. What should I do to remedy this?

USAFRet

Titan
Hello,
Recently I got and installed a new ssd into my computer. My goal with this new ssd was for it to store the OS and other frequently used apps. Following some online tutorials, I used AOEMI partition assistant’s “migrate OS to SSD” tool. After finishing, the computer began booting from the new SSD but instead of just migrating the OS, the entire HDD was cloned into the SSD. I’m not exactly sure what went wrong, and I fear that wiping one of the drives would lead to more problems. What should I do to remedy this?
That migration tool, as with ALL others, does not migrate 'only the OS'.
Misleading advertising.

Nothing went 'wrong', it worked s it should.

There is no function or application that will migrate 'only the OS'.
All or nothing.

Unless they specifically advertised a way to migrate 'only the OS', typically cloning/migrating is moving everything....programs included.

On the positive side, installing WIndows to a new SSD from a USB flash drive can be done in 4-5 minutes these days....(do this with your original drive disconnected) When content with what apps are on the SSD, reconnect other drive, quick format it (if nothing on it you must have), and install programs where you want them, be that SSD or HDD...

TRENDING THREADS