Accidentally deleted partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have a Seagate 200GB external Firewire/USB hdd. I have it formatted
FAT32, with one big partition. I was installing Windows XP Pro on my
desktop and accidentally selected the Seagate drive instead of the
desktop's internal hdd for my installation partition, and Windows
setup had already modified the partition table. I did NOT format. I
have been looking for solutions, but have been able to find anything
free that works so far. I am, unfortunately, a college computer
science major without a job and therefore without the ability to pay
for software to help me out. This hard drive is extremely important to
me, as it is my backup drive and is too big to be backed up somewhere
else. Anybody know how I might be able to fix this?

Thanks!
Joe

<LaneRebel@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a Seagate 200GB external Firewire/USB hdd. I have it formatted
> FAT32, with one big partition. I was installing Windows XP Pro on my
> desktop and accidentally selected the Seagate drive instead of the
> desktop's internal hdd for my installation partition, and Windows
> setup had already modified the partition table. I did NOT format. I
> have been looking for solutions, but have been able to find anything
> free that works so far. I am, unfortunately, a college computer
> science major without a job and therefore without the ability to pay
> for software to help me out. This hard drive is extremely important to
> me, as it is my backup drive and is too big to be backed up somewhere
> else. Anybody know how I might be able to fix this?
>
> Thanks!
> Joe

The only solution I'm aware of is to use Powerquest's Partition Magic. It
should recover the deleted partition.

You might check Powerquest's site to see if they mention what Partition
Magic actually does. I'm would guess it's 'just' a matter of editing a
couple/several table entries. Of course, you also have to have a way to do
the editing - I would assume there are some free tools on line.