Question Accidentally deleted recovery partition. How to recover?

Status
Not open for further replies.

c050

Reputable
Dec 14, 2018
Original specs prior SSD clone & upgrade: https://www.asus.com/Laptops/K55VJ/specifications/

My old cloned (to SSD) platter drive containing the (now deleted) recovery partition is placed in a caddy in the optical drive position.

Having SSD image backups (Macrium Reflect) I did an experiment. I created a USB recovery stick with “Create a recovery drive” (*1) and selected “Delete the recovery partition from your PC” to find out which, if any, recovery partition had been created when I upgraded to Win 10 1903. A mysterious new OEM partition at the SSD drive end did appear after the 1903 upgrade.

To my great surprise the old platter drive (not booted from) recovery partition was deleted despite having booted from the SSD. It went from hidden to becoming an empty lettered partition (F).

Since this (20GB) partition is on the inactive platter drive I believe chances of recovery is good since it isn't being touched by anything. The only thing that has touched it ever is the “Create a recovery drive” -> “Delete the recovery partition from your PC”. I suspect this 20 GB holds the 2013 OEM ASUS software that I don't ever expect to want to have use for again, but still I hate having lost it before being able to archive it.

Found this tool.
https://www.partitionwizard.com/disk-recovery/accidentally-deleted-recovery-partition.html
Chances of this working?
~

*1) “Create a recovery drive” instructions here
https://www.ubackup.com/windows-10/create-windows-10-recovery-disk-4348.html

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Recovery app's will always have a disclaimer. Your mileage for recovery will vary when compared to another end user.

For what you're trying to do, that is recover a recovery partition, why are you trying to do so? In this day and age, you won't have anything that is necessary for use with Windows 10. Speaking of Windows 10, you should be on 1909 by now.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

c050

Reputable
Dec 14, 2018
Why?
Granted, it is very unlikely I will ever need or want any ASUS specific software in the recovery partition. Still, I would've liked to archive a disk image of the platter drive including the recovery, just in case, it's only 40GB.

Just discovered the Reinstall via
Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery -> Reset this PC
seems to work with my restored image prior to my experiment:
“Create a recovery drive” -> “Delete the recovery partition from your PC”

This didn't seem to work immediately after my
“Create a recovery drive” -> “Delete the recovery partition from your PC”
adventure. Not that it was supposed to. I figure it deleted the recovery on the SSD and also, for some reason, deleted the recovery partition on the platter drive that wasn't even 'active'.

Just occurred to me. If it deleted the SSD Windows recovery and the platter OEM recovery, maybe it deleted the platter Windows recovery as well? There's at least one recovery partition on the platter drive besides the one (OEM 20GB) that got deleted. I always planned to wipe the platter anyway, but I'd liked to have an archive of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS