Accidentally dropped my external hard drive

Mike 777

Commendable
May 12, 2016
Hey guys,

I just accidentally dropped my WD external hard drive, and my PC won't recognize it anymore. I tried it on my laptop and my tv and it's not working either.

When I put my ear next to the Hard drive, I hear 5 clicks, then a buzzing sound, then a small beep and it repeats over and over.

I think something is broken in my hard drive.

I am almost sure that WD doesn't cover that kind of damage, am I wrong?

Also if WD doesn't cover it, is there a way to fix it?

Thanks in advance

Solution

1. Try connecting it to a different PC. Unlikely to work, but free to test.
2. Take the enclosure apart, and connect that drive internally on a different PC.
Again, unlikely to work.

All that clicking is the classic sounds of a totally dead drive.
Dead, as in you do not want to find out how much it might cost to have someone else tell you it is actually dead.

USAFRet

Titan
Sounds like it is dead.

It is either the actual drive that is dead, or the enclosure. Sounds like the drive.

But you could try taking it out of the external case, and connecting it to a PC as an internal drive.
Probably still broken though. And you can't fix that level of damage.

Mike 777

Commendable
May 12, 2016
Thanks for your quick response. It's a usb 3.0, can I still do that?
Anyone else that might have some knowledge on how I could fix this? I Have over 1.5 TB of data on that drive, i would really suck if i can't do anything to fix it.
Thanks!

USAFRet

Titan

1. Try connecting it to a different PC. Unlikely to work, but free to test.
2. Take the enclosure apart, and connect that drive internally on a different PC.
Again, unlikely to work.

All that clicking is the classic sounds of a totally dead drive.
Dead, as in you do not want to find out how much it might cost to have someone else tell you it is actually dead.

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

As USAFRet says, if it's broken, your options are to see if you can test it in an enclosure or internally in another PC or send it off for very expensive data recovery (good firms will put you in four figures).

Hopefully there's nothing *too* annoying to lose. Having important data properly backed up is a basic task of responsible PC ownership, just like you change the oil in your car or the filter in your furnace. Anything worth wanting to keep is worth safeguarding.