[SOLVED] Accidentally forget to connect GPU 6-pins can kill the Graphics card?

Mar 2, 2019
Hi guys. This is the first time i posted. I need your help guys about my GPU.

Flashback my system was running fine. But i disassemble some parts to test my old rig after that i turn back all the parts but to much excited i forgot to put the 6 pins for the GPU which is RX 470 so i boot it up and theres no display. So i figure it out that i forgot to put the 6 pins. When i turn it off i shock a little bit like never before in my system unit when pressing the power button. So i put the 6 pins and boot it up. So no display again. And i think my Video card doesn't fit,so i detach the GPU and put back again but suddenly no display again. To be sure that my system unit is working i remove the video card and booted it up. And it works so i put the video card again but theres no display. Then i think if video card is working i know the onboard display ports will not work because of Video card. So i change the cable and put it in the onboard vga port but the video card is in there. So i boot up and theres a display. I know that theres something wrong happen in my GPU but theres a factor that my PCI-e x16 is not working or my Rx470 like. I dont know if you forgot to put 6-pin can kill the GPU. I need your help guys to figure it out why is it happen. All answer is too much appreciated godbless😊

Solution
more than likely when you left the GPU unpowered, the mobo switched back to the iGP of the CPU which you have already verified is working.

you probably only need to set the BIOS back to the PCIE slot since it is not doing it manually. easiest way is to get it all set-up again and then turn it off. once it is off, remove the battery from the motherboard for a minute or 2. what this does is resets the BIOS making it look at the system again where it will see the GPU and set the PCIE slot as active again.

other option is to use the iGP to boot into the BIOS and find the setting there to switch the PCIE slot back on. save the settings and turn off the pc. now plug the monitor back into the GPU and start it up. PCIE should now be active...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
more than likely when you left the GPU unpowered, the mobo switched back to the iGP of the CPU which you have already verified is working.

you probably only need to set the BIOS back to the PCIE slot since it is not doing it manually. easiest way is to get it all set-up again and then turn it off. once it is off, remove the battery from the motherboard for a minute or 2. what this does is resets the BIOS making it look at the system again where it will see the GPU and set the PCIE slot as active again.

other option is to use the iGP to boot into the BIOS and find the setting there to switch the PCIE slot back on. save the settings and turn off the pc. now plug the monitor back into the GPU and start it up. PCIE should now be active and give you a signal to the screen.

more than likely this is the problem and the solution. give it a shot either way and if it does not work, then can look into other possible problems.

Solution