Question Accidentally fried the motherboard, would the GPU be damaged too?

Dec 8, 2020
I fried my motherboard while connecting the wrong fan wire to the board. When booting it up, there was a spark around the area and nothing else. After that, the pc wouldn't boot up. Would this be something that would damage the GPU?

MSI TOMAHAWK B450 MAX
AMD RYZEN 5 3600
GEFORCE RTX 2060 Super
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB(2x8) DDR4 DRAM
Cooler Master MPY-6501-AFAAG-US MWE 650 80+ Gold Certified 650W

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I fried my motherboard while connecting the wrong fan wire to the board. When booting it up, there was a spark around the area and nothing else. After that, the pc wouldn't boot up. Would this be something that would damage the GPU?

MSI TOMAHAWK B450 MAX
AMD RYZEN 5 3600
GEFORCE RTX 2060 Super
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB(2x8) DDR4 DRAM
Cooler Master MPY-6501-AFAAG-US MWE 650 80+ Gold Certified 650W

No real way to know without testing. I'd probably be more worried about the CPU than the GPU.

The fan wire was from the case and was two-pronged, and I must have connected it to one of those
You shorted fan speed sensor input (pin 3) to 12V (pin 2) and fried nearest voltage regulator together with one or two signal switching transistors. Congratulations, you won a visit to repair service. In future check your motherboard manual before about which pins to use for fan connecting. Spoiler: for 3-pin connectors they are pin 1 (ground) and pin 2 (+12V).

FYI: Some picture diagrams about 3-pin and 4-pin fan connectors

TRENDING THREADS