Accidentally got the Cyberpower standard power supply, am I screwed?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gibby123

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
So I ordered a computer from Cyberpower and after ordering I did a little research on the power supply because of have never heard of a "Standard" power supply. Most of the reviews said that it can break your computer and I can't cancel and reorder because I ordered this on blackfriday.

Chayan4400

Honorable
Found it. It's made by a company called ATNG POWER CO LTD. Probably an OEM.

So far, what I can gather is that they make (Or made) low end PSUs for Rosewill most notably, along with some smaller brands.

From a 2009 HardOCP Review -

ATNG Power Co. LTD (I Horng Power Co. LTD.) is one of the larger providers of power supplies in various markets including the US and is fairly well known to many users. As a company ATNG has been in business since 1987 and currently has a production capacity of ~900,000 units a month. ATNG branded power supplies can be found under other brands such as Rosewill, older BFGTech models, Coolmax, StarTech.com, some ABS, the ATNG brand itself, and others. Typically ATNG power supplies have not been what most users have considered to be a premier product offering but with the increased competition in the power supply market of late ATNG has released a number of new products that are of great interest to us including today’s Nexus branded unit.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/12/21/nexus_rx6300_630w_power_supply_review/1#.VnWnA1YdBuA

Everything I can find on ATNG dates back to around 2009. Looks like not many companies use them as OEMs now. I''m inclined to think CyberPower gets PSUs custom made for them from ATNG, unlike other PC builders that use what is on the market.

In any case, replace it ASAP. Give us your PC specs so we can recommend a cheap but good PSU.

gibby123

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015

BLKFRISALE1: CyberpowerPC Gaming Mouse Pad [+0]
BLKFRISALE2: TP-LINK 802.11 AC Archer T1U AC450 Wireless 5GHz 433Mbps Nano USB Adapter [+0]
BLKFRISALE3: ZALMAN ZM-HPS200 Gaming Headset [+0]
BLUETOOTH: None
CABLE: None
CAS: Cooler Master N600 w/ USB 3.0, Side Panel Window [+30]
CASUPGRADE: RGB Multiple Color LED Strip with Remote Controller
CC: None
CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
CD2: None
COOLANT: Standard Coolant
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-6700K 4.00GHZ 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1151 (Skylake) [+116]
CS_FAN: Default case fans
DOCKINGSTATION: None
ENGRAVING: None
FA_HDD: None
FAN: Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler - Extreme Cooling Performance (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
FLASHMEDIA: None
FREEBIE_CU: FREE $50 Amex Gift Card with selected Intel Core I7 and Intel Core I5 Desktops and Laptops
FREEBIE_HD: None
HD_M2PCIE: None
HD_M2SATA: None
HDD: 128GB SanDisk SSD + 1TB SATA III Hard Drive Combo [+43] (Combo Drive)
HDD2: None
HEADSET: None
HS_HANGER: None
IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
KEYBOARD: CYBERPOWERPC Skorpion K1 Mechnical Gaming Keyboard w/ Kontact Blue Switches and Programmable Blue LED Lighting [-5]
MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR4/2800MHz Dual Channel Memory (ADATA XPG Z1)
MONITOR: None
MOPAD: None
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z170-PRO GAMING ATX w/ USB 3.1, 3 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 1 SATA Express, 4 SATA3, 1 Ultra M.2 [+9]
MOUSE: AZZA Optical 1600dpi Gaming Mouse with Weight Adjustable Cartridge
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
NFC: None
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready [-4]
RUSH: NO Rush: All Orders placed before 12/4/2015 11:59PM PST guarantee delivery by Christmas
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR [3 Year Labor, 1 Year Parts] LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SLI_BRIDGE: None
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: None
TEMP: None
TUNING: None
TVRC: None
USBHD: None
USBX: None
VIDEO: AMD Radeon R9 390X 8GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card [+206] (Single Card)

USAFRet

Titan
Concerning this thread...

"POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready [-4]"

This means...whatever crap little square box they have on the shelf today, that they got for really, really cheap.

Chayan4400

Honorable

This just about sums it up. Since you do need a new PSU, here is one of the best PSUs you can be on a budget:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($56.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $56.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-19 15:26 EST-0500

It's a steal at that price. Excellent quality, superb performance and plenty of power even to overclock both the 390X and the 6700K. Made by Super Flower, one of the best OEM manufacturers of PSUs.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
thanks for taking the time to post the specs on the psu :) been wondering for a long time what they put in as stock. i doubt the psu will explode or anything like that but clearly this is a low end item that probably should be replaced. here is a solid evga b2 750w psu for a great price and it is even semi modular. and the best part is no rebate. the psu is just on sale!!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KFAFRW6/?tag=pcpapi-20

edit: looks like chayan just beat me to it. :p

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

yah i assume it changes as well with whatever they get a good bulk sales price on at the time. but it does let me know how cheap they are willing to go to save build costs. considering what they sell as "upgrades" on psu's i assumed it was bottom of the barrel but now i don't have to assume anymore :)

Kevolu

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016
I feel I should mention that Asetek coolers aren't bad. Asetek has a lot of patents in the AIO CPU cooler industry and actually makes coolers for Corsair(I don't remember if it was the GT or GTX that they make).

I know this is an older thread but I feel the comment above was a bit misguided.

Also never NEVER go with the CyberPower Standard PSU. The forums on the CyberPower site is filled with people complaining about their system smelling of smoke and not working and 95% of the time it's because they went with the standard PSU. People really should ask for help before ordering a custom PC because it's up to the consumer to choose the components that go into the machine. It's obvious CyberPower doesn't truly care about what their customers order. They probably make more money when you order their standard PSU and make even more money when your system blows up after the warranty expires.