Accidentally got the Cyberpower standard power supply, am I screwed?

gibby123

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
So I ordered a computer from Cyberpower and after ordering I did a little research on the power supply because of have never heard of a "Standard" power supply. Most of the reviews said that it can break your computer and I can't cancel and reorder because I ordered this on blackfriday.

staste4290

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015
You should be fine if you ordered a complete computer from Cyberpower. They wouldn't sell you something that would break your computer, but if you are nervous about having it you can get a new power supply for $40.

gibby123

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015

Will this PSU cause any permanent damage? I don't think I can switch it out right away.

USAFRet

Titan

'this PSU'...
Since we do not know exactly what PSU it is....Unknown.

Will it destroy anything next week? Probably not.
Is it good to just keep using, as you add new parts and capabilities to that PC? No.

gibby123

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015

So it has a 1 year warranty, would it be fine if I kept it till then, not adding any new parts or anything. Or would it just brake?

USAFRet

Titan
Well...the warranty on a PSU covers the PSU. If it fries, and takes out other components..oh well. Not covered.
The CyberPower warranty? Good luck with that. We've seen many reports here of them stalling on that,

Obviously, CyberPower sells 'thousands' of PC's. Obviously, most of them do not die.

However....there are so many things 'wrong' with buying one of those.

gibby123

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015

I just realized that I accidently got the Asetek 550LC, please tell me this won't be a problem

USAFRet

Titan

That is a CPU cooler.
http://www.asetek.com/desktop/oem-cpu-coolers/550lc/

gibby123

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015

Oh thanks, was worried for a second

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i asked the cyberpower rep what exactly a "standard" psu was from them and got a run around answer. would you mind posting what make and model it is just so we can have a bit of an idea what they sell as "standard" :)

just curious really what they put in them when you don't know any better.

USAFRet

Titan

Well...as with most things from CyberPower...I wouldn't have bought that thing.
The good quality air coolers are quieter, cheaper, and more effective.

gibby123

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015

800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready

gibby123

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015

But will I still be fine with it?

USAFRet

Titan

Unknown. It may leak and pee all over your hardware.

gibby123

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015

I'll let you know if my computer breaks or not. Thanks for the info though, my computer is coming in a couple days so it might be a little bit before I can tell you.

USAFRet

Titan

Let us know in a few months.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

yah i know the site says that :) i'd like you to open the case and look at the label and share what brand the psu is and a model number. we are assuming it is a crap psu and i'd like to know just how low it sinks on the overall craptastic scale. but need to know who makes the psu to know for sure how bad it really is.

gibby123

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015

Alright, the computer isn't here yet, so I'll let you know when I get it.

gibby123

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015

Alright, the computer arrived and it is up and running. The power supply says on the side "Power CO., LTD and do you need the model number?

gibby123

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015

I honestly don't know how to check what is in the machines but the model number is "ATA-800FB-B"

Chayan4400

Honorable

If it isn't too much trouble, could you post the UL certification number as well? It should look like this:

UL_NUMBER_by_Phaedrus2401.jpg

After referring to another thread that PSU should have the UL certification listed. We can use that number to find the PSU manufacturer or the OEM if there is one.

gibby123

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015

That number is "E 186010"