[SOLVED] Accidentally i remove thermal paste from my Gigabyte Aurus rx580 ,even i remove the tharmal paste from other IC ,what should i DO?

Solution
About the best paste to use for gpus is Arctic MX-4, but some ppl also like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and CoolerMaster MasterGel Maker.

You can't just use any paste on a gpu. Your cpu has a heatspreader made of thin rough metal on it, but the gpu does not, it's direct die silicon, almost glass-like. So the thinner, liquidier pastes tend to run right off with heat and fan vibrations and pressure from the screws which will leave bare spots on the die itself.

You'll need to use thicker pastes that do not dry out, definitely Not Arctic Silver 5 or similar. Just something nice and thick and will stick to the gpu die.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
About the best paste to use for gpus is Arctic MX-4, but some ppl also like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and CoolerMaster MasterGel Maker.

You can't just use any paste on a gpu. Your cpu has a heatspreader made of thin rough metal on it, but the gpu does not, it's direct die silicon, almost glass-like. So the thinner, liquidier pastes tend to run right off with heat and fan vibrations and pressure from the screws which will leave bare spots on the die itself.

You'll need to use thicker pastes that do not dry out, definitely Not Arctic Silver 5 or similar. Just something nice and thick and will stick to the gpu die.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
Solution

Does it work

Reputable
Jun 3, 2017
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut as mentioned by Karadjgne is one I have successfully used to replace the thermal paste on GPU's, thick enough not to run and the application tube makes getting it on accurately easier (smooth compared to some brands). I didn't really like the Coolermaster brand as much (personal preference, it works fine though) and have yet to try Arctic MX-4 but I hear it is good too.

Reactions: digitalgriffin

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006

You should use as little thermal paste as is possible, since it is only intended to fill the tiny gaps between the two surfaces. It is far more desirable to have metal-to-metal contact as the thermal conductivity between the two surfaces is orders of magnitude higher than the conductivity of the interface material.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Honestly doesn't make much of a difference, if any, how much you use, pressure will extricate any that's too much, leaving just enough for a good mate between surface materials. Using the least amount possible is impossible to judge without repeated removal, so application of more than enough is just a best guess amount.

The only side affect of using too much is the mess to clean up next time. The side affect of trying to use as minimal as possible is the probable lack of coverage to start with.

TRENDING THREADS