accidentally installed win 8.1 pro thru add new features

pswift

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014
My desktop came with OEM win 8 which I upgraded to 8.1 latest update. Declined the free win 10 upgrade even thopugh MS had downloaded it thru 2 files totally almost 10 GB exceeding my monthly BW allowance. Earlier this year I was checking the unit with command prompts and decided to look at sys info and clicked on add features to windows to see what was there. Phone rang as I clicked on it and when I came back it was installing 8.1 pro. I now have an un activated pro and cannot buy a key from MS to activate it. Any way to revert back to 8.1 without losing 40+ software etc. I have an 8.1 iso usb I created when I installed 8.1 update thru the store that works but shows that I can only save personal files. I am aware of the loophole to still get win 10 for free. Will it work since I do not have an activated win 8.1 running currently or would I have to reinstall 8.1. Can I factory reset and install the "free win 10" with win 8. I use this computer for a home based business. Auto backup everything to a WD 1tb My Book HD. Also back up documents to flash drives regularly. Know how to re-install app data for my web sites I built and maintain. Also have a win 10 1511 laptop. All are 64 bit and networked. Also should I partition the new OS. Unsure how to replace factory backup OS with latest. Looked at buying install media from dead computers on ebay but unsure whether they will work. I have satellite internet and do not trust it for OS doawnloads and on get 8.5 gb per month. Have access to cable and dsl with no caps to download. Any help with my options appreciaated. Like to save money doing this but also want to be legit with full updates from MS if I go to 10. alienware x51 intel 3450 8 gb ddr3 ram 1 tb WDD blue

clintittech

Commendable
Oct 9, 2016
Hi not sure about this, but if you install Windows 8.1 with the same edition of your Windows 8 OEM license, meaning that if your OEM license is for Windows 8 Pro then you have to install Windows 8.1 Pro and if your OEM license for Windows 8 then you have to install Windows 8.1.

Windows 8 licenses also work on Windows 8.1 installation (given that you are installing the same edition). Windows 8.1 is only a minor later version to Windows 8 (similar to a Service Pack).

I suggest getting the Windows 8 OEM license which is stored inside the mainboard.
Try using the below software:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html
http://rweverything.com/

I use both software regurarly to retrieve Windows license which is embedded inside the mainboard (hence it is not printed on a sticker). Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 OEM licenses which come with the computer from factory and are embedded inside the mainboard, are not printed on a sticker. In theory activation should take place with out any hassle once you are connected to the internet.
Also if you manage to get your hands on a Dell Windows installation disk, you should install your computer with that disk.

Hope it helps :)

pswift

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014
I have the key from the MOBO thru Belarc and nirsoft. It was 8 Home OEM from Dell which I upgraded to 8.1 update 1 in August 2015 thru the store. I have an iso I made from that download. Somehow Windows allowed me to get pro by simply clicking on "add features to windows" on the system info page. MS techs told me that this was not possible but I was there and saw it with my own eyes. Just another way MS tries to sell you more. I know in their iso download they include both and the key determines what features you get. Just would like to not lose everything but I suppose I should do a clean install anyway. May get the backdoor(legally) free Win 10 after I get 8.1 in and activated. Just prefer not to buy a key for 8.1 pro unless I can get it thru a retail store that I know is legit. I could keep everything that way and have bitlocker to encrypt my files and get group policy editor which are not included in home. Both 8.1 and 8.1 pro are in the 8.1 download from MS. The key determines whether you get pro or home 8.1. Same with a MS disk.

pswift

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014
3 months ago the Microsoft tech department had told me that I could not possibly have gotten the 8.1 pro version without paying them first and refused to deal with me. Today after 3 phone calls to Microsoft customer support a case was opened and a technition remotely connected to my computer and found that I was correct but they kept telling me that my only options were a total new install of 8.1 update 1 or to purchase through Microsoft Win 10 pro for $199. I informed the technition that when it happened back 3+ months ago I tried to buy the 8.1 pro key for $99 and could not buy it and since my problem was caused by Microsoft that it really was their problem to fix and I would not give them $199 and still have to fix it myself. I told her that my screen had a Win 8.1 pro build 9600 watermark on it and suddenly it was a new ballgame. After consulting her supervisor I was offered a 8.1 pro key for $40. I accepted and she activated my OS after credit card payment was made. The technition was very knowledgeable and courteous. Very pleased with the outcome but it took perseverance to get them to fix the problem.