Accidentally installed windows 10 on hard drive rather than ssd

Jcump223

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
Hi all!
As the title suggests, i oopsed when setting up my newly built pc, and installed windows on my harddrive rather than ssd. And was wondering if theres a quick fix to this.

Solution
Hey there, @Jcump223!

Just like @Barty mentioned, you should simply repeat the procedure but make sure you unplug the HDD from the SATA port on the motherboard. Having more than one SATA storage device connected would cause an OS confusion which will cause further booting issues later on. Once you have Windows OS up and running on the SSD, plug back the secondary hard drive and reformat it through Disk Management to ensure there are no system files that would take up the space.

If you need more detailed instructions, I'd recommend following this step-by-step Windows Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs.

Hope it helps you. Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD
Hey there, @Jcump223!

Just like @Barty mentioned, you should simply repeat the procedure but make sure you unplug the HDD from the SATA port on the motherboard. Having more than one SATA storage device connected would cause an OS confusion which will cause further booting issues later on. Once you have Windows OS up and running on the SSD, plug back the secondary hard drive and reformat it through Disk Management to ensure there are no system files that would take up the space.

If you need more detailed instructions, I'd recommend following this step-by-step Windows Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs.

Hope it helps you. Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
Win 10 won't let you delete partitions through disk management that have win 10 on them... best way to wipe hdd is d/c ssd from power (just like you had done hdd already) and attach hdd by itself and run http://www.dban.org/ on it and then once its blank, reattach SSD and then format it using disk management.