[SOLVED] Accidentally installed Windows 10 with a hard drive plugged in

Fortaliz

Prominent
Jun 1, 2019
I've recently put together my first pc. I have installed all the drivers and programs. The only problem is my second hard drive was plugged in and Windows was installed on both drives?

Is there a way to move it onto drive C: instead of the D: drive without reinstalling windows?

Look at the screenshot for more info.
View: https://imgur.com/RFIRNBr

Solution
Use the installer to format both drives. Cancel the installation after the format is successful on both drives, then power down, disconnect the HDD and then power up the system with only the SSD installed. Use the installer to create partitions(as the OS needs) and then proceed with installation.

However, looking at your screenshot, I don't see any mention of the HDD being a boot drive or any semblance of the HDD having partitions that cater to the OS. I think you're good to go. On a third note, you should be seeing 3 partitions for the SSD, if you asked the OS to create partitions for the OS.

Make and model of your motherboard?

Lutfij

Titan
Use the installer to format both drives. Cancel the installation after the format is successful on both drives, then power down, disconnect the HDD and then power up the system with only the SSD installed. Use the installer to create partitions(as the OS needs) and then proceed with installation.

However, looking at your screenshot, I don't see any mention of the HDD being a boot drive or any semblance of the HDD having partitions that cater to the OS. I think you're good to go. On a third note, you should be seeing 3 partitions for the SSD, if you asked the OS to create partitions for the OS.

Make and model of your motherboard?

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
However, looking at your screenshot, I don't see any mention of the HDD being a boot drive or any semblance of the HDD having partitions that cater to the OS. I
look again, the partition marked (System) is the boot partition. So yes, its booting off D drive. Its also marked Active which on an MBR system is the boot partition.

Is there a way to move it onto drive C: instead of the D: drive without reinstalling windows?

alas, due to way partitions are created if you resize them, and drives being MBR, you can't rescue this without a clean install.

If you resize C it will make make unallocated space after C, so only place to create boot partition would be after C Partition.

On MBR systems the boot partition has to be first partition on the drive and only way to achieve that now is a clean install again

although... I don't know if you can do anything about making C the boot partition, I think most fixes assume there is an MBR partition.

Last edited: