Question Accidentally lifted up cooler and I dont have spare thermal paste

First how did you accidentally lift the cooler off? Was it not screwed or latched on?

Second don't panic, just leave the machine off.

I wouldn't try and reseat it with the old stuff as it wont spread correctly so youll need some new. Arctic Silver 5, Arctic MX-4 or Noctua NT-H1 all all good choice and should cost between 5-10 dollars online.

Clean off the old thermal compound using some rubbing alcohol and a coffee filter or other lint free cloth, apply a rice - pea size amount of new to the center of the CPU then place the cooler back down on the CPU, lightly fasten it, give it a little wiggle then fully tighten the cooler down per instructions (don't over tighten)

chocomintmichael

Prominent
Sep 25, 2019
First how did you accidentally lift the cooler off? Was it not screwed or latched on?

Second don't panic, just leave the machine off.

I wouldn't try and reseat it with the old stuff as it wont spread correctly so youll need some new. Arctic Silver 5, Arctic MX-4 or Noctua NT-H1 all all good choice and should cost between 5-10 dollars online.

Clean off the old thermal compound using some rubbing alcohol and a coffee filter or other lint free cloth, apply a rice - pea size amount of new to the center of the CPU then place the cooler back down on the CPU, lightly fasten it, give it a little wiggle then fully tighten the cooler down per instructions (don't over tighten)
The clips would latch. I literally cant find thermal paste at this hour can I just reseat it?

I wouldn't. Its up to you if you want to risk it but I personally wouldn't. Old thermal paste becomes harder and doesn't spread as evenly, and you really need the paste to spread from the center outwards evenly covering the CPU heat spreader. ill it break you machine, no the CPU will shutoff if it gets too hot but it most likely will run hot.

If you can wait then wait.

chocomintmichael

Prominent
Sep 25, 2019
I wouldn't. Its up to you if you want to risk it but I personally wouldn't. Old thermal paste becomes harder and doesn't spread as evenly, and you really need the paste to spread from the center outwards evenly covering the CPU heat spreader. ill it break you machine, no the CPU will shutoff if it gets too hot but it most likely will run hot.

If you can wait then wait.
Lets say i take the risk and it turns off will I able to boot it back up after i get new thermal paste and reapply it?

You can reseat the cooler with old paste. It may turn on then shutdown under load. Or it may throttle and reduce performance severly.

Because of this, go and buy new paste asap.

Its like $5 for a tube. Even a best buy should have some. I have bought some thermaltake diamond paste there before.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2
The Bust Buy's around me in Denver carry
Corsair, Thermaltake TG7 which I use on my 3 different corsair watercoolers and Insignia (best buy brand) which I have no idea of who makes it for them or any properties of it.
The TT TG7 runs about $8.00 the corsair alittle higher.

chocomintmichael

Prominent
Sep 25, 2019
The Bust Buy's around me in Denver carry
Corsair, Thermaltake TG7 which I use on my 3 different corsair watercoolers and Insignia (best buy brand) which I have no idea of who makes it for them or any properties of it.
The TT TG7 runs about $8.00 the corsair alittle higher.
You can reseat the cooler with old paste. It may turn on then shutdown under load. Or it may throttle and reduce performance severly.

Because of this, go and buy new paste asap.

Its like $5 for a tube. Even a best buy should have some. I have bought some thermaltake diamond paste there before.
Thank you all for the recommendations. PC booted up fine thank god. Sadly I do not live in USA and the only PC Store near me is 2 hours away and its currently 12am so ill just keep an eye on the temps and see how it goes