Accidentally linked my Videos folder with my D hardrive

persephoneia

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2014
When I first built my computer I moved all my library folders to my D drive except for videos because I had no need to use it at that point in time.Today though I decided to move my video folder and instead of moving it to D:/Videos, I moved it to D:/. Now anytime I click on it it just goes straight to my D drive and I can't seem to undo it. Is there any to fix this or have I lost my video folder.

Solution
I just figured this out. I backed up (just to be sure I didnt MUBAR) this folder (in my case it was Documents folder).

Then do this: Restore to Default...BUT... instead of clicking yes, click NO.

I still can't figure out how to rename the system folder that is now named (in my case) D:\, but at least it is now pointing to the correct folder on the correct drive.

KEY TO FIXING THE ERROR MESSAGE:
"Failed to build the list of regular subdirectories under D:\System Volume Information. Access is denied"

1) Backup up to be sure you don't lose data
2) Right Click Folder
3) Click Properties
4) Click Locations
5) Click Restore to Default
6) Key Step: click NO regarding files (your files should be left where they are)
7) Find a way to...
What you should have done is manually created a new folder on D, then copy/move the files over to the new folder.

I'm not quite sure what you did but it looks like you changed the link.

open up Windows Explorer (My Computer) and manually go to your Documents-Video folder, or start with "C" root drive, then "Users" then "myname", then "Videos" and you likely will see your content.

On my PC, I'm "Jeffrey" so my path is this: C:\Users\Jeffrey\Videos

**Also, if you did change the path in the "Videos" folder (under the "This PC" heading for Windows 8 in the main Windows Explorer right under "pictures") and it shows as "D" drive under "properties"-> "Location" after you've right-click the Video folder then simply restore the path by clicking "Restore Default" and save.

persephoneia

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2014
You don't understand what I'm saying. When you move library folders you want to move them completely off the drive not just manually stick them in a newly created folder. You do that by going into properties and selecting where you want to move it. I missed a step where you're suppose to create a folder in the new drive and move it to that folder. Instead I just selected D:/ instead of D:/videos. The videos folder still has the videos folder icon but when clicked on goes to my D drive and when you go into properties acts like it's the D drive. Clicked restore to default also doesn't work because it then tries to move everything on my D drive to the videos folder on my C drive which doesn't work because some files don't move (nor do I want any of those files on my C drive even if it did allow it).

I'm asking if there is a way to restore the folder without it trying to move all of my files or get rid of whatever link I've accidentally made.

IslandFloydo

Reputable
Oct 30, 2014
I just figured this out. I backed up (just to be sure I didnt MUBAR) this folder (in my case it was Documents folder).

Then do this: Restore to Default...BUT... instead of clicking yes, click NO.

I still can't figure out how to rename the system folder that is now named (in my case) D:\, but at least it is now pointing to the correct folder on the correct drive.

KEY TO FIXING THE ERROR MESSAGE:
"Failed to build the list of regular subdirectories under D:\System Volume Information. Access is denied"

1) Backup up to be sure you don't lose data
2) Right Click Folder
3) Click Properties
4) Click Locations
5) Click Restore to Default
6) Key Step: click NO regarding files (your files should be left where they are)
7) Find a way to rename the system folder back to it's original name (documents, music, pictures, etc

******REMEMBER TO CREATE RESTORE POINTS BEFORE CHANGING YOUR COMPUTER FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER. Apparently, Win 8.1 does not do this automatically?*******

Solution