Accidentally Moved Desktop 'Location' to New HDD solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cchavoc

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015
So i was in C:/users/(name) and moving the My Documents, My Games, etc. Locations (right click-properties-Location tab) To my new HDD i installed to free up space and stop having game saves on my OS SSD. I got carried away and moved the Desktop 'Location' to the new HDD. This caused a big deal for me.

It copied everything from my new HDD onto the Desktop and the Desktop over the New HDD like a Dupe and if i deleted the Folder on the desktop, in the new HDD or the desktop folder inside the new HDD it would delete all Folders and clear out the HDD of everything. None of the folders were shortcuts. I was panicking as i tried to undo everything and all i got were errors. It would not allow any kind of Copy/Cut & Paste action, it would just say that destination already exists and nothing happens. It would not let me return the 'Location' of Desktop to C:\Users\(name) or 'Restore Default Location' the way i had moved it to the HDD.

It was impossible to find a solution via the Web until i started trying different things and solved the crazy weird dupe i created for myself. Here what i did to fix it:
1. Right click your new HDD (whatever letter drive and name you gave it) and select Properties then select the Location Tab.
2. Hit the 'Restore To Default' and click apply.
3.THIS IS THE KEY: When it says to move all folder you would always want to select yes. Here select NO!!
4. It moves the desktop back to the C:\ in its proper spot and all the dupes fix themselves immediately! Whew!

Thought i'd share this crazy experince as i found no info about it.

EDIT: I just made this profile to report this and now i see a related thread, wish i seen that before but i guess the more the better for people who make this mistake.

Reactions: Anthony Griffith
Status
Not open for further replies.