[SOLVED] Accidentally plugged CPU power cable into GPU

Penrose

Commendable
May 26, 2019
So I recently bought a new PC and it was quite late while I was building it (so I was pretty tired), and I made a huge mistake by plugging in the 8 pin CPU power cable into the 8 pin PCIe slot in the GPU. There was also a 6 pin PCIe slot as well in the GPU which I plugged a 6 pin PCIe cable into. I tried turning on the PC (not knowing what I did) and nothing happened and to add, there was no smoking nor cracking noises. After realising my mistake, I correctly plugged the CPU cable into the motherboard and the PCIe cable into the GPU. After that, the PC booted fine and there didn’t seem to be any problems.

I’m just worried that I may have caused some significant damage to the GPU or maybe the motherboard and CPU, seeing that the PC works fine, i’d hope I didn’t damage anything.

So long story short, have I caused any damage to my GPU from this mistake?

Solution
If the PC booted fine after correcting your mistake, then you are most likely fine.

The PCIe AUX connectors and EPS12 connectors have the 12V and GND rows inverted, getting the two mixed up effectively shorts 12V to ground and should have tripped the PSU's over-current protection before any damage got done.

The way the connectors are keyed though, it should have been impossible for you to successfully plug the wrong connector in.

They are labeled differently to help you, but they are essentially the same connection
The connector keying (the pattern of square and tapered positions in the connector housing) is almost completely different. It shouldn't be possible to put the wrong plug in without substantial force unless you are...

InvalidError

Titan
If the PC booted fine after correcting your mistake, then you are most likely fine.

The PCIe AUX connectors and EPS12 connectors have the 12V and GND rows inverted, getting the two mixed up effectively shorts 12V to ground and should have tripped the PSU's over-current protection before any damage got done.

The way the connectors are keyed though, it should have been impossible for you to successfully plug the wrong connector in.

They are labeled differently to help you, but they are essentially the same connection
The connector keying (the pattern of square and tapered positions in the connector housing) is almost completely different. It shouldn't be possible to put the wrong plug in without substantial force unless you are off by a couple of positions so the parts that don't match end up flapping in the breeze.

Reactions: Bassman999
Solution

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021

The connector keying (the pattern of square and tapered positions in the connector housing) is almost completely different. It shouldn't be possible to put the wrong plug in without substantial force unless you are off by a couple of positions so the parts that don't match end up flapping in the breeze.

They are grouped together as if interchangeable

InvalidError

Titan

They are grouped together as if interchangeable
At the PSU end of the cable, sure, it wouldn't make much sense for PSU manufacturers to use a different pinout for all-12V connectors... and I'm scratching my head about why the PCI-SIG didn't reuse the same damn connectors that were already standard. At the motherboard/GPU end of the cable though, connectors are different.

Reactions: Bassman999