Accidentally renamed Downloads to D:\ !! [pic included]

gtsarts

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013
Hi all, in the process of relocating my Downloads folder I accidentally typed "D:\" instead of "D:/Downloads". So now I am facing a problem as I cannot change the location. The following message appears: "failed to build the list of regular subfolders under D:/System Volume Information. Access denied". I tried to remove the HDD and reboot so now when I click to Properties it directs me to System info. Looking out for Help. thanks a lot, G.

KV8p60F.png

gtsarts

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

Yes i can't set it to default, that's what i tried. From what i can tell windows recognise the Downloads folder as D:\ so no renaming, no default location, it's stuck

IslandFloydo

Reputable
Oct 30, 2014
I just figured this out. I backed up (just to be sure I didnt MUBAR) this folder (in my case it was Documents folder).

Then do this: Restore to Default...BUT... instead of clicking yes, click NO.

I still can't figure out how to rename the system folder that is now named (in my case) D:\, but at least it is now pointing to the correct folder on the correct drive.

KEY TO FIXING THE ERROR MESSAGE:
"Failed to build the list of regular subdirectories under D:\System Volume Information. Access is denied"

1) Backup up to be sure you don't lose data
2) Right Click Folder
3) Click Properties
4) Click Locations
5) Click Restore to Default
6) Key Step: click NO regarding files (your files should be left where they are)
7) Find a way to rename the system folder back to it's original name (documents, music, pictures, etc

******REMEMBER TO CREATE RESTORE POINTS BEFORE CHANGING YOUR COMPUTER FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER. Apparently, Win 8.1 does not do this automatically?******