Question Accidentally scrached the motherboard near gpu

realimad12

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
Hello guys , so when i was installing my gpu i accidentally scrached the motherboard (will upload image later ) and now my pc doesnt turn on at all , except if i touch the scrached area with a screwdriver turns on then just fine , for now its on sleep mode there's no problem with that , my question is that can i fix it without having to replace the motherboard ? Thanks

Wilcal

Reputable
Mar 29, 2020
As you have determined, you scratched though something that completes a circuit and it is now open. You might try to determine what exact points need to be in contact to close that circuit before you attempt any repair. You might be able to carefully apply solder...

realimad12

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
As you have determined, you scratched though something that completes a circuit and it is now open. You might try to determine what exact points need to be in contact to close that circuit before you attempt any repair. You might be able to carefully apply solder...
I kept trying and i think i found the exact point , whenever i touch it , the pc powers on , about the solder how should i apply it , is there any youtube video that can help me ? Thnx

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
you will need to buy soldering equipment .. no point if the motherboard is cheap like $50-$100 worth today in the market.

If it is expensive , like some $200+ motherboard , take it to an expert to solder it for you it is 5 minutes work like $20 only

Reactions: Wilcal

Wilcal

Reputable
Mar 29, 2020
also you should be sure that is your point of trouble. That is far from the area scratched in the original picture which seems to have disappeared. You could be closing the circuit in a different place... so you might want to do as suggested, consult with an expert They will have magnifiers to examine the area as well as the right equiment for doing that job. Cost of the MB is a real factor, as you dont know how long the fix will last.

Last edited:

realimad12

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
The area that i pointed out in the last picture is the one responsable for this problem , i contacted an expert and he said its close to an audio chipset and it doesnt make any sense why its causing this problem ... Im confused