Accidentally shocked myself when unboxing my new graphics card, did I damaged it?

fikri.pratama829

Prominent
Feb 24, 2018
Hello, so yesterday I received the Zotac GTX 1060 Amp that I ordered online, then I unboxed the packaging till it reveals the card inside the antistatic bag, when my left hand holding the bag (its touching the backplate right at the upside of the pcie connector of the still packaged card, at the outside of the bag) and my right hand ready to take out the card from the bag (it's opening the antistatic bag I believe, my right hand is a little moist but not directly touched the card) my left hand felt an subtle electric shock that last somewhat longer. And I realized that I forgot to ground myself to my PC case and wearing the antistatic wrist strap. Because of it I took the card back to the packaging out of my paranoia and halted my plan to install the card. I'm concerned if that the ESD effect which damages my card. I live in a relatively humid place so I'm not sure if static electricity is an issue, and I'm sitting on a office chair when unboxing my card if that helps. Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor English

Solution
If the graphics card was inside the anti-static bag, the likelihood of any damage from ESD is extremely low. Install the card and see if your system boots up and your display gets a signal from the card. All should be good. If not, just return the card as defective through the RMA process ;-)

fikri.pratama829

Prominent
Feb 24, 2018

Yeah it's in the bag but I've already opened the bag a little

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
If the graphics card was inside the anti-static bag, the likelihood of any damage from ESD is extremely low. Install the card and see if your system boots up and your display gets a signal from the card. All should be good. If not, just return the card as defective through the RMA process ;-)

Solution

fikri.pratama829

Prominent
Feb 24, 2018

Thank you, just installed my gpu currently and it's working as expected! So I think the esd bag was effective enough to protect my card