[SOLVED] accidentally took out gpu without uninstalling drivers

Jun 13, 2021
So today i took out the sapphire pulse rx 570 8gb from my dads dusty ass system(i cant put it back) but forgot to uninstall the graphic drivers. Would this be bad if i use this gpu in a new system?

Solution
So today i took out the sapphire pulse rx 570 8gb from my dads dusty ass system(i cant put it back) but forgot to uninstall the graphic drivers. Would this be bad if i use this gpu in a new system?

Drivers are something installed on the host computer hard drive and do not reside on the GPU itself. A GPU doesn't care whether or not you uninstalled your GPU driver before removing the GPU because those files only interface with the GPU when the computer is on.

When moving a GPU from one computer to another, you should be more concerned about drivers on the computer you are about to install the GPU into. The only thing you need to do with the computer you are removing the GPU from is to disconnect power to the system and...
It makes no difference what you did in the old system to how the gpu will work in the new system.

However if you try to use a different gpu in the old pc it’s possible Windows will install default drivers for the different gpu and you might have issues with conflicting drivers. You can still use DDU to completely remove the drivers from the old pc and install the drivers for any new gpu.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Reactions: pelperson
Jun 13, 2021
It makes no difference what you did in the old system to how the gpu will work in the new system.

However if you try to use a different gpu in the old pc it’s possible Windows will install default drivers for the different gpu and you might have issues with conflicting drivers. You can still use DDU to completely remove the drivers from the old pc and install the drivers for any new gpu.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
ty both

simpalak

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019
Haha na that's not what the OP meant. Gpu was accidentally removed first before uninstalling drivers thinking that would affect the card.
wait... it does affect the gpu? Cus I removed it so I can change the thermal paste and I didn't uninstall the drivers and now I get decreased performance in games. I even posted a thread about this. Please check it out, I really need some advice

Drivers are something installed on the host computer hard drive and do not reside on the GPU itself. A GPU doesn't care whether or not you uninstalled your GPU driver before removing the GPU because those files only interface with the GPU when the computer is on.

When moving a GPU from one computer to another, you should be more concerned about drivers on the computer you are about to install the GPU into. The only thing you need to do with the computer you are removing the GPU from is to disconnect power to the system and carefully remove the GPU. Nothing needs to be done from a software perspective before doing this.

Solution