[SOLVED] Accidentally turned off PC during system restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markhad93

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2016
Hello THW community,

I have had the worst 2 days of my life trying to fix my laptop. There was an update (windows 10) that kept bricking my Asus tuf F15's wifi/internet (even when you connected to ethernet). For some reason I couldn't pause updates (it was greyed out) so I system restored but I accidentally restarted my pc and now it doesnt work at all (i'm taken to recovery options) but none of them really work.

I have tried to reset my pc in the recovery options it gives but it 'runs into a problem' instantly.

I have also tried to install windows 10 via a bootable usb drive and that doesnt work either because my SSD is not detected for some reason (I even tried detecting and cleaning the SSD via the command prompt but that did not work either.

This has turned into a complete nightmare and I strongly believe that my $1000 laptop I bought last year is fully bricked.

Laptop model: ASUS TUF F15 (FX506HCB) With an i5 11400h and rtx 3050

Any suggestions would be extremely appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
So do I just delete all the partitions when I get to the 1st picture I sent? I'm a little confused as I'm not sure how I can nuke the drive if I can't actually select it and press format. Thanks for your help.
You DO NOT select format. All you do is delete ALL existing partitions then move on and let the installer create what is needed.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what shows if you go into diskpart in command prompt and do a list disk?

pPT2QsE.jpg

its not bricked. worst case is windows just needs to be reinstalled. Interrupting a reset should just break windows.

Markhad93

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2016
I have figured out a way to get the ssd to show now (downloaded a driver on the usb) but I can't use the drive because 'windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. Bitlocker drive encryption is enabled on the selected partition. Suspend bitlocker in the control panel then restart installation".

So now the question is how would I disable bitlocker if I can't get into the control panel?

Colif

Win 11 Master
You might need to wipe the drive to continue

is there anything on drive you want to keep?
I am not sure if this will work as I don't deal with bit locker much
Boot from installer
  • on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
  • choose troubleshoot
  • choose advanced
  • choose command prompt
  • type notepad and press enter
  • in notepad, select file>open
  • Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or another drive

If you can copy info off the drive, you might need to use an Ubuntu live USB to wipe the drive
https://askubuntu.com/questions/652093/how-to-securely-erase-hard-drive-with-ubuntu-live-cd

Markhad93

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2016
You might need to wipe the drive to continue

is there anything on drive you want to keep?
I am not sure if this will work as I don't deal with bit locker much
Boot from installer
  • on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
  • choose troubleshoot
  • choose advanced
  • choose command prompt
  • type notepad and press enter
  • in notepad, select file>open
  • Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or another drive
If you can copy info off the drive, you might need to use an Ubuntu live USB to wipe the drive
https://askubuntu.com/questions/652093/how-to-securely-erase-hard-drive-with-ubuntu-live-cd
Oddly the drive isn't showing in my pc when I try to access it through the method you suggested. And for some reason it shows the drive is completely empty when I try to select it to install windows. I also don't have the option to format it. This is so bizarre.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Oddly the drive isn't showing in my pc when I try to access it through the method you suggested. And for some reason it shows the drive is completely empty when I try to select it to install windows. I also don't have the option to format it. This is so bizarre.
i think that is normal for bitlocker drives.

I have asked if anyone else has an idea.

D

Deleted member 14196

Format and reinstall as stated above. All other efforts are complete nonsense. Don’t even bother with Linux. Build a Microsoft windows, USB and nuke the drive.

The windows installer will allow you to delete all the partitions, and then have it create the partitions it needs as it installs

Markhad93

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2016
Format and reinstall as stated above. All other efforts are complete nonsense. Don’t even bother with Linux. Build a Microsoft windows, USB and nuke the drive.

The windows installer will allow you to delete all the partitions, and then have it create the partitions it needs as it installs

So do I just delete all the partitions when I get to the 1st picture I sent? I'm a little confused as I'm not sure how I can nuke the drive if I can't actually select it and press format. Im also pressing the 'install windows only' option and not trying to save any files. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.