[SOLVED] Accidentally turned off PC during update, now getting BSOD's even after clean install

Dec 11, 2020
Hello.

I recently upgraded the motherboard, CPU, video card, and RAM (no overclocking) and my PC was running fine for a couple months with no issues. One night while updating Windows, like an idiot, I forgot that I had left the computer on and hit the power button thinking I was turning it on but it turned off. After booting it back up I began receiving random BSOD's when performing various tasks (downloading files, idling). The two most common BSOD messages I received were MEMORY_MANAGEMENT and SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. First thing I did was update the BIOS. It completed successfully, but now I have to boot up my computer twice (the first time it hangs at the initial BIOS screen, the second time it loads Windows). This pre-POST so I don't think a corrupted hdd or memory would cause this, but I'm really not sure.

I decided to wipe the drive and start new since the install was only a few months old. I created a bootable USB using my Windows 10 laptop (the same way I installed it after upgrading the hardware). This time, during the Windows installation I received the same BSOD's. I then thought that maybe the the hdd was damaged when I restarted during the update. I ran chkdsk and it came back fine. I tried installing Windows to a different drive (deleted the partitions, created a new one, and reformatted). Oddly, I began receiving errors when copying Windows files that the required files were missing. Restarting the computer and reinstalling seemed to allow it to complete with no issues.

I left the computer on over night downloading games on Steam to see if it would BSOD again. It was fine all night until I started copying and downloading multiple files at the same time and then BAM - BSOD (memory management). I restarted (twice) and it worked for a while longer and then I got the system exception BSOD.

I'm at a total loss now at what to do. Is it possible that the flash drive I used to install Windows (or the image file downloaded) was corrupt and would cause this by installing corrupted OS files? I didn't think shutting Windows down during an update would physically damage hardware, but that's the only other thing I can think of since I was previously using the same hardware with no issues.

I just set up the recovery options in Windows to dump the complete information and have been attempting downloading and copying different files trying to get a BSOD again. It seems pretty stable while idling now under low stress.

Specs:

CPU: Intel i7-9700K @ 3.60Ghz
Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A (updated the BIOS yesterday)
RAM: XPG Spectrix D60 16GB (2x8GB)
HDD: Hitachi 4TB SATA
GPU: AMD Radeon 5700 XT

Sorry for the long diatribe. This is just the craziest PC issue I've ever encountered lol. I appreciate the assistance!

Solution
wuauserv is windows update. Event viewer isn't a good way to figure out BSOD

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. copy that file to documents
  2. upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site,
  3. and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem
op already said he has latest BIOS so updates won't help overly. Dumps might show something
Dec 11, 2020
Checking Event Viewer, the most recent error under the Application section says there was an issue with svchost:

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 12/11/2020 1:20:58 AM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: DESKTOP-FUF29FI
Description:
Faulting application name: svchost.exe_wuauserv, version: 10.0.19041.546, time stamp: 0x058e175a
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.610, time stamp: 0xe5d7ed5c
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x00000000000a3608
Faulting process id: 0x560
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6cf8273f28387
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: c312e2ce-df32-471b-b2da-5af516a7a0b4
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

The following was listed as the most recent critical error under System:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 12/11/2020 7:15:02 AM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)
User: SYSTEM
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Under the Details Tab:

BugcheckCode: 26
Bugcheck Parameter: 0x41790
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x1
SleepInProgress 0
PowerButtonTimestamp 0
BootAppStatus 0
Checkpoint 0
ConnectedStandbyInProgress false
SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 0
CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0
BugcheckInfoFromEFI false
CheckpointStatus 0
CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2 0
LongPowerButtonPressDetected false

If you need further information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020
I uninstalled as many updates as it would let me. So far, I haven't seen a BSOD, but it's still freezing at BIOS causing me to have to restart again. Should I also flash the BIOS again?

I uninstalled as many updates as it would let me. So far, I haven't seen a BSOD, but it's still freezing at BIOS causing me to have to restart again. Should I also flash the BIOS again?
Try going into bios, and resetting to optimal settings, like you are starting from scratch with the motherboard and restart see if that changes it. I hate to go right to bios updates because it can cause more problems than solving.

Colif

Win 11 Master

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

op already said he has latest BIOS so updates won't help overly. Dumps might show something

Solution

Hes not getting the bsod anymore, that's fixed. He's getting stoppage at bios start now.

Dec 11, 2020
Thanks so much to everyone trying to help me solve this 🍻

UPDATE:

I rolled the BIOS back to the previous version which fixed the freezing on boot issue. I ran memtest86 and my RAM passed with 0 errors. I ran sfc /scannow and it said that there were errors that weren't reparable. I reseated the RAM and I also ran the driver verifier which created a dump file showing a bad Daemon tools driver which I uninstalled. I reset back to a recovery point and it worked fine for a while until I received a KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE BSOD. I saved the dmp file to my Google Drive (here). From the BSOD tool I used it looks like ntfs.sys and ntoskrnl.exe are the culprits. Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that it keeps erroring out when updating Windows (2020-12 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 KB4592438) (0x8007371c)

EDIT 2: Not sure if this is related, but I've never experienced this issue before, either. When downloading games on steam they download about 97% and they say it's "Missing Downloaded Files" so I have to delete the game's local files, redownload and reinstall.

EDIT 3: I left it alone to download stuff and came back and it looked like it had BSOD'd again and restarted. This time the BSOD error was KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR. It looks like ntoskrnl.exe is the issue once again. I've uploaded the dmp file here.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS