Question Accidentally unseated CPU while applying thermal paste

Nov 2, 2019
So my PC was shutting down while playing more graphic intensive games. Ive had this same issue a few years back so I immediately replaced the PSU. Installation was fine but was still shutting down. Assumed it was CPU overheating so i went to replace thermal compound, but CPU came out with heatsink. Cleaned with alcohol pad, let sit, applied paste and heatsink. Now when i start it, all components are running, but i get no beep or visuals when booting. Any ideas?

Update: PSU: Rosewill Hive 650S
GPU: Nvidia GTX 760
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4
MOBO: ASUS F2A85- pro

Last edited:
So my PC was shutting down while playing more graphic intensive games. Ive had this same issue a few years back so I immediately replaced the PSU. Installation was fine but was still shutting down. Assumed it was CPU overheating so i went to replace thermal compound, but CPU came out with heatsink. Cleaned with alcohol pad, let sit, applied paste and heatsink. Now when i start it, all components are running, but i get no beep or visuals when booting. Any ideas?

Update: PSU: Rosewill Hive 650S
GPU: Nvidia GTX 760
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4
MOBO: ASUS F2A85- pro
Did you check the CPU for any bent or broken pins yet? Make sure you run the system to heat up the CPU before removing the heat-sink or use a hair dryer to heat it up so the thermal paste won't glue the CPU to the heat-sink and pull the CPU out of the socket. If you are in the US, getting a replacement Athlon II x4 or Phenom II X4 is pretty cheap now, usually under $35 for used sold on ebay. You may end up having to buy another CPU.

View: https://imgur.com/a/UJEtiv8

Here is a picture of the processor pins and seat. Idk if that helps. Will probably buy a new one, just want to see if anything is wrong here.
You have what look like two bent or broken pins in the top left of the CPU picture. If the pins are still there, try to slowly bend them back into place and try the CPU again. If it doesn't work, just buy a cheap replacement CPU if you need to keep the system running.

Reactions: TysonasaurusRex

TRENDING THREADS