Accidentally Wiped HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

blizzard1337

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
So my brother upgraded to Windows 10 recently, and he realizes he hates it. So trying to downgrade back to Win 7 he accidentally wipes the Harddrive (I think). Now when he turns it on (HP Laptop) it says no boot file was found and says Ctrl+alt+delete to restart. He doesn't have any recovery disks, however in Bios it says Win 7 but Im not sure if that helps.

Thanks

Its a HP Pavillions g6-d11dx

blizzard1337

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011

He had deleted the whole partition, does this mean I cant use system recovery for windows 7 to restore it?

USAFRet

Titan

The HP recovery might still exist.

blizzard1337

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011

I can see the Hp recovery partition, but how would i go about doing this?

blizzard1337

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
I have no OS to do the first option, the second option i have tried(f11) however it doesn't do anything it leaves me at a hit f11 to system recovery scree. I read somewhere that it may because my recovery partition is inactive. i can access a windows xp recovery console but it wont allow me to try download windows XP

ctbrown

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2014
"i can access a windows xp recovery console but it wont allow me to try download windows XP"

Did the system originally have XP? If so,do you still have the Win7 upgrade disk and license key?

blizzard1337

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Ok, so far I was able to download windows 7 using another disc I found, but I already used that product code. So now how can I access the HP recovery partition so that I can activate my Windows7. Again the old partition was deleted, but I can still see the recovery partition, and now I have inactivated windows 7 downloaded.

USAFRet

Titan

"their site"? You mean Microsoft? Yes, that is the case. For an OEM license, they expect you to get the install media from the manufacturer.

blizzard1337

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
No, I read that if I still have the code for a windows 7(One on back of laptop which originally came with it) I can download the iso from the site and then use it. I try putting that code it said contact your device company(hp) for more details, hp has nothing on their website.

USAFRet

Titan

OK, to get this under control:

You have an HP laptop
The OS got fully wiped
You have no HP recovery disks
The license key is printed and legible.
Going to MS to obtain the install media results in a message to contact HP (this is normal and expected)

Is all of that correct?

You will probably have to actually talk to someone at HP to obtain the factory reset disk(s). This will probably cost money.
or
Possibly the original HP factory reset partition exists. If it does, do that.
or
Buy a new OS.

USAFRet

Titan

Right. The license printed on the laptop will not work to activate a Windows 7 Upgrade install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS