Accidently creating bottlenecks/lag

AndyDalis

Distinguished
May 3, 2015
My family installed Cat5e access our house recently. I decided to make my own wireless network for my room using my rooms ethernet port as a bit of fun and so I can monitor my bandwidth usage. I used a router to make said wireless network. We, the family started to notice little bits of lag and sometimes the network freezing. Could my router be causing the lag and the network issues? I have secured it as best I could.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Have you tried disconnecting the router to see if it solves the issues? If not I would try that. My guess is it is something else especially if the Cat5e was just installed but you need to rule out the new router first.

smashjohn

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017
You may be running double-nat (ISP to HOME & HOME to ROOM). Double-nat does weird things, especially with home networks.. This is especially problematic if you are using the same subnet in your room (10.1.1.X/24) as the rest of the house. I haven't seen a setup like this that doesn't cause strange problems.

AndyDalis

Distinguished
May 3, 2015

I did run into that issue when setting up the network, now i dont have an issue. On my end that is

AndyDalis

Distinguished
May 3, 2015

I did, it seemed to help. It just doesnt make sense why adding a router inbetween my pc and the main router would cause that.

kanewolf

Titan
If you connected the main router to the LAN port on your router, to avoid double NAT, then you HAVE to disable the DHCP server on your slave router. That is probably the cause of the problems. Two different and potentially conflicting DHCP servers.

Wireless space is shared. Adding more wireless in a small area will congest the bands.
You can find a chart of recommend channels for multiple access points for 2.4 and 5Ghz.

If you did something like transfer files over wifi to another computer it would swamp the wireless space.