Question Accidently jumped the cmos jumpers while the system was plugged in.

Khushvendra

Prominent
Aug 27, 2020
I once accidently jumped the cmos jumpers while system was getting power from the outlet. The system started but there was no output on screen. Ever since then every once in a while I need to clear cmos coz my pc doesn't start without doing that. This happens once in 2 weeks approx.

So I want to know if the first incident damaged my mobo and if there is anything I can do to fix it.

Thanks in advance.

Ralston18

Titan
1. How do I do that:

Specs - just list.

Motherboard
CPU
GPU
RAM
Drive(s) : make, model, capacity, how full?
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Or replace CMOS battery? That should be listed in the Motherboard's User Guide/Manual.

2. When it comes to power issues, especially after some accident, who knows what may really have happened.

Even if a "new" CMOS battery, manufacturers will install the cheapest battery available. Replacing the CMOS battery should be very inexpensive to buy and straightforward to install. Do follow the User Guide/Manual instructions and/or check the Motherboard manufacturer's website. They may even have video.

Replacing the CMOS battery just as a matter of elimination.

Also keep an eye on system date and time. Both should remaIn set and accurate to your time zone.

Khushvendra

Prominent
Aug 27, 2020
1. How do I do that:

Specs - just list.

Motherboard
CPU
GPU
RAM
Drive(s) : make, model, capacity, how full?
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Or replace CMOS battery? That should be listed in the Motherboard's User Guide/Manual.

2. When it comes to power issues, especially after some accident, who knows what may really have happened.

Even if a "new" CMOS battery, manufacturers will install the cheapest battery available. Replacing the CMOS battery should be very inexpensive to buy and straightforward to install. Do follow the User Guide/Manual instructions and/or check the Motherboard manufacturer's website. They may even have video.

Replacing the CMOS battery just as a matter of elimination.

Also keep an eye on system date and time. Both should remaIn set and accurate to your time zone.
First of all Thank you for the reply!!

I also want to inform you that when the pc doesn't post, it power cycles before shutting down.I hopes it helps.

My specs-
Mobo-Gigabyte B460M Gaming HD
CPU-Intel core i3 10100f
GPU-Colorful GTX1650S
RAM-XPG Adata gammix D30 8gb X 2
Storage-Gigabyte NVME 512gb(200 free)
PSU-Antec B550 80 plus bronze, around 9 months running

I also know a bit about pcs as I configured and built this one myself and can play in the bios if you want.

Ralston18

Titan
Have been off-line for awhile.

Do you have access to another known working PSU that you can install for test purposes?

If so, do so.

The Antec PSU may not have been up to the task or may have prematurely failed.

Any warranty left?

Khushvendra

Prominent
Aug 27, 2020
Have been off-line for awhile.

Do you have access to another known working PSU that you can install for test purposes?

If so, do so.

The Antec PSU may not have been up to the task or may have prematurely failed.

Any warranty left?
Yes I have warranty left on the PSU. but not an access to a working one. I'll definitely go for a PSU diagnosis as it is also giving a coil whine.

Thanks once again :)

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS