[SOLVED] Accidently plugged ext.HDD into itself...What next?

Openupitsdave

Distinguished
May 20, 2014
I plugged in my 8Tb Seagate Backup Plus Hub into itself via included USB cable...OOPS! Took it out then I plugged it into PC and windows told me there's an error and asked me to scan and fix, but I haven't yet. I am able to transfer files but I'm only getting 14mbps where I used to get 150mbps. I also am noticing its vibrating and making more noise than usual... Should I scan and fix in Windows?

UPDATE: I unplugged everything and plugged it back in to PC and seems to be working better now. Windows didnt detect an error this time. At first I was getting speeds of around 70mbps, and it went up to 150 but is jumping all over the place between 100 and 150. Should I run a scan? And what is the best way to do so?

Last edited:
Solution
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer:

First for any errors that may be been captured at the time of the original misconnect.

Second for any subsequent errors that you can associate with speed changes.

Open either Resource Monitor or Task Manager to observe system activities and performance when the speeds are changing.

(Use both tools but only one at a time. )
I plugged in my 8Tb Seagate Backup Plus Hub into itself via included USB cable...OOPS! Took it out then I plugged it into PC and windows told me there's an error and asked me to scan and fix, but I haven't yet. I am able to transfer files but I'm only getting 14mbps where I used to get 150mbps. I also am noticing its vibrating and making more noise than usual... Should I scan and fix in Windows?

UPDATE: I unplugged everything and plugged it back in to PC and seems to be working better now. Windows didnt detect an error this time. At first I was getting speeds of around 70mbps, and it went up to 150 but is jumping all over the place between 100 and 150. Should I run a scan? And what is the best way to do so?
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001118.htm

Reactions: Openupitsdave

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer:

First for any errors that may be been captured at the time of the original misconnect.

Second for any subsequent errors that you can associate with speed changes.

Open either Resource Monitor or Task Manager to observe system activities and performance when the speeds are changing.

(Use both tools but only one at a time. )

Reactions: Openupitsdave
Solution

TRENDING THREADS