[SOLVED] Accidently stabbed my motherboard with a screwdriver near the cpu

Apr 11, 2019
Hello all,
While i was screwing in my cpu cooler on my Msi B350m Bazooka my hand had slipped and hit the motherboard, hitting a gold block located near the cpu.

I hadnt test it before this but now there is no signal to my monitor is this the issue or could it be a hard drive one?

Solution
I just did still no post :( meaning having to go fix motherboard or buying new one?

Unfortunately... may well be the motherboard, since the damage is visible on it.A new motherboard might be required to get everything up and running.

Do you have any warranty on it?
You could try contacting MSI and ask them if you can send the board for RMA with a leaked capacitor... I'll doubt that they'll accept it though, since you inflicted the damage.
Apr 11, 2019
Post a picture with the motherboard and the place you hit with your screwdriver.
Is there any visible damage on the board?

Are the fans spinning when you try to start the system?t

Yes everything spins and there is a tiny bit damaged which is barely visible how do i take pictures to send

To the right of the square there are two gold rectangles one them is a little hurt

Those 2 look like SMD capapacitors.
The one on top is damaged I presume?
Image is not very clear so I can't tell for sure.

Did the damaged capacitor(golden rectangle) leak?... from the picture it looks like it did, again the compression is really high on the picture and I can't really tell for sure.

Recheck all the cable connections on the board and reseat everything(CPU, RAM, GPU), just to be sure... does the EZ debug LED get stuck somewhere when you're trying to start the system?

Not working HDDs have nothing to do with your computer not posting... you can even disconnect them, you should be able to go into your BIOS without them.

Apr 11, 2019
Those 2 look like SMD capapacitors.
The one on top is damaged I presume?
Image is not very clear so I can't tell for sure.

Did the damaged capacitor(golden rectangle) leak?... from the picture it looks like it did, again the compression is really high on the picture and I can't really tell for sure.

Recheck all the cable connections on the board and reseat everything(CPU, RAM, GPU), just to be sure... does the EZ debug LED get stuck somewhere when you're trying to start the system?

Not working HDDs have nothing to do with your computer not posting... you can even disconnect them, you should be able to go into your BIOS without them.

There is a little leak, does that mean i need to buy a completely new motherboard :(

I just did still no post :( meaning having to go fix motherboard or buying new one?

Unfortunately... may well be the motherboard, since the damage is visible on it.A new motherboard might be required to get everything up and running.

You could try contacting MSI and ask them if you can send the board for RMA with a leaked capacitor... I'll doubt that they'll accept it though, since you inflicted the damage.

Last edited:
Solution
Apr 11, 2019

Flip hey thanks for the help :( i can sleep knowing what i did now lol.
I cant even go out to buy one as my area is in lockdown due to Covid-19 gotta wait out the 2weeks without gaming imma be so depressed

Flip hey thanks for the help :( i can sleep knowing what i did now lol.
I cant even go out to buy one as my area is in lockdown due to Covid-19 gotta wait out the 2weeks without gaming imma be so depressed

Almost forgot about this... have you tried resetting CMOS?

This can be done by shorting those 2 pins named JBAT1(thouch them both at the same time with your screwdriver).

JBAT1 location on your motherboard schematic (those 2 pins on the left of JCl1 below the BIOS battery) :
oHmycHN.jpg

Apr 11, 2019
Almost forgot about this... have you tried resetting CMOS?

This can be done by shorting those 2 pins named JBAT1(thouch them both at the same time with your screwdriver).

JBAT1 location on your motherboard schematic (those 2 pins on the left of JCl1 below the BIOS battery) :
oHmycHN.jpg
Didnt work for me so probably just motherboard dead :( thanks for all ur help and time