Question Accounting application struggles in Windows 10 (Mapped Network Drive)

Keano16

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
Hello,

we are an accounting company using one program for almost 15 years and we are very satisfied.

Network work is a bit specific, but it works (worked?!) fine until recently. Program is installed on the "server" (just another computer in the office) and it is run on the clients just by mapping a server's disk drive and creating a program shortcut on the client.

This program uses Access database! I think this is important part of the problem.

Network is gigabit, all PC's are almost new. Network works perfectly! All computers until couple of days ago were Windows 7/8 and accounting program also worked perfectly... IP's are static, drivers are mapped via IP address.

Couple of days ago we bought 2 new computers and obviously Windows 10 Pro x64, and now we have a problem with this software that is seriously affecting our work. The problem is simple: when creating a document (invoice or similar) and saving it - saving takes 2-3-4 minuts.

During this 2-3-4 minutes:
  • network is operating normally
  • ping from client to server is 1ms
  • file transfer from client to server is 100 MB/s
  • all permissions are OK
  • mapped drive is visible and accessible

The problem is present only on the clients. On the host all works perfectly. Windows 7/8 clients also work perfectly. Only problem are Windows 10 clients. I see that many users of this program has the same problem on Windows 10, but the producer/programer has very bad support.

I have tried almost all solutions from the Internet (enabling/disabling SMB1/2, registry tricks, windows 7/8 compatbility mode on the client, etc.).

Any ideas? Please do your best :)

p.s.
Thanks on your patience

D

Deleted member 14196

What version of the Microsoft access drivers are installed on the Windows 7 machines versus the Windows 10 machine

Set the windows 10 boxes up like the windows seven boxes as far as that goes

Also using Microsoft access for production is very very very very very bad idea. The database sucks and it’s not multiuser. It’s not made for departmental databases. If you called Microsoft and told them this they would tell you exactly the same thing and give you no support until you upgraded to SQL Server

You need to migrate to sql server imo

Keano16

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
What version of the Microsoft access drivers are installed on the Windows 7 machines versus the Windows 10 machine

Set the windows 10 boxes up like the windows seven boxes as far as that goes

Also using Microsoft access for production is very very very very very bad idea. The database sucks and it’s not multiuser. It’s not made for departmental databases. If you called Microsoft and told them this they would tell you exactly the same thing and give you no support until you upgraded to SQL Server

You need to migrate to sql server imo

How can I check which drivers are we using on this machines?

All other options are the same on 7/8/10 machines.

I know that .mdb is bad for this, but we are unable to do anything at the moment. Vendor/Programmer is reluctant to change technology and for the time being we need to stick to this program.

Just consider Microsoft access as a tinker toy of databases

At the moment impossible.

both windows 7/10 running 32bit driver?

All machines are x64, if this is what you are asking me.

Thanks everyone.

D

Deleted member 14196

Go to control panel under uninstall programs and you will see what version of office is installed on win7 and win10

are they the same?

Keano16

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
Go to control panel under uninstall programs and you will see what version of office is installed on win7 and win10

are they the same?

Some devices are on 2016, some are on 2013. Windows 10 = 2016, Windows 7 = 2013.

If nothing else works, you can always reinstall windows 10 pc to windows 7.

This is the last resort... Windows 8 actually.

Or just run Windows 7 VM’s on the windows 10 box

This is also an option. But maybe better a downgrade to Win 8.

D

Deleted member 14196

remove 2016 access drivers from the windows 10 machine, put the 2013 ones on it, same as the windows 7/8 boxes. you can try it anyway. if not you have the other options of downgrade or VM

Keano16

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
I have removed MS Access through Cpanel... and problem still persists.

I guess Windows downgrade is the solution :) I don't like the idea of continuous work in VM

Last edited:

Keano16

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
My problem is still not resolved.

One important thing that I tested and found our yesterday. I borrowed a PC from a friend (PC with new hardware, i5-9400 processor, and board ASROCK h310cm-hdv m2 and Windows 8.1 x64 PRO on it and here are my findings:

• I have very similar problems like in Windows 10
  • Again to mention: older PC's in the office on Windows 8 are running fine
So, my only conclusion is that something of new hardware (LAN card?) is causing slowness of this application.

I did the test:

• wireless USB lan - no success
  • additional PCIex LAN card (this time tpLink/realtek) - no success

I was sure Windows 10 is the only problem... but, based on this yesteday's test, it seems that problem is (also) a new hardware. There is no other explanation.

I know I am boring but I must state again: all other PC's in the network work fine (Windows 8).

I have also called programmer (application vendor). They know that the problem is present, but they don't know the reason and they don't know the solution. And they are not too interested to investigate it.

Unfortunately we still cannot change program, so I must somehow fix this situation.

And in the end - I can confirm that various accounting companies in my country using this same application have exactly the same problem on new machines. I have spoken with their network admins and IT guys. I am not the only one.

TRENDING THREADS