Acer’s New Notebook Lineup Has Something For Everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

sullivang

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Something for everyone? Nope - not me. I want a 17" 4K bezel-less general productivity (NOT gaming) laptop, with externally accessible main drive and battery, like my Dell M4500 & E6500.

zippyzion

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Does Acer make a laptop for people who like reliability? Nope? Well then they don't have something for everyone.

I'm not being salty for no reason here either. I've owned 2 Acer laptops and they have been pretty crappy. The first one died at 13 months, motherboard failure. I babied that thing. Never dropped it, always had the charger hooked up to an UPS, and packed it in a neoprene sleeve inside of a laptop case. I got over that and ended up getting another one, and it was worse. Three in warranty repairs! Once for the screen, once for the motherboard, and once for the hard drive. When the motherboard went for a second time at 14 months of ownership, I was DONE with Acer. I got a Surface Pro 2, still works great 3 years on. I've also since purchased an Asus and that has worked great for the year I've owned it. My only complaint is that somewhere I lost a screw from the bottom, but there is something like 9 more holding the bottom on so I think I'll survive.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
I've owned 3 ACER laptops. One of them is currently 5 years old (will be 6 on Black Friday) and used for 10 hours a day, 5-6 days a week. It's been dropped several times. The only damage to it is from me disassembling it to clean the dust out and replace the cooling fan that failed after 4 years of constant use. I've had much worse luck from Asus, HP, Toshiba and Lenovo....lol. I've owned 3 Asus laptops. The first 2 only lasted 2 years before failing and I'm not expecting the current one to last any longer than that. I'm on my first Dell laptop. (Yes, I own 3 laptops....4 if you count an Asus that's non-functional). My first Acer laptop managed to survive 6 years of heavy use and abuse between 2 different owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.