G

hi--
i'm having problems with my acer burner. i'm losing just about every other cd that i'm burning. i'm not running any other programs and have defraged my hard drive. i've tried burning at slower speeds and this does not help either. i also have a generic 40x cd-rom as my primary ide drive and the burner as the secondary. any suggestions?

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have this burner and have never had a problem.
What OS are you using? What burning software are you using? What are you trying to burn?

*Warning*
This was posted solely to increase my post count and may not contain any relevant info

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The burner should be the primary drive on the second IDE channel.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks"

G

Without more info, we can't give you a proper answer. in addition to what the last person asked you to add, Are you copying the disc "on-the-fly" or are you copying to HD then to the CD-RW? Generic CD-ROMs (expectally anything over 8x) are "Variable Speed Devices" which have to alter the speed the disc spins depending on the location of the laser, so the transfer rates will go up and down, sometimes your buffer gets empty and the the writing gets interrupted. Damn, that's a run-on sentance if I ever wrote one... anyways, make sure you are making it copy to the HD unless you get a TrueX CD-ROM drive, also switching the CD-ROM to the secondary IDE controller should increase bandwidth on the IDE channel helping the CD-ROM keep it's buffer full.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Mine is the slave on the secondary IDE.

*Warning*
This was posted solely to increase my post count and may not contain any relevant info

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've always heard to get best performance the burner should be the primary drive. If secondary works well for you, more power to ya.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks"

G

If burning fails at 4X speed, there should be problem in your hardware/software configurations. Some types of CDR will not do at over 4X speed. Whether primary or secondary doesn't matter. I'm running my ACER 6x4x32 with my old P55C 233(OC 262.5) on secondary slave, never have I ruined a single CDR!

jvanber

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
As always, its a good idea to make sure the drive has the latest firmware revision. Making sure your burning software is a good idea, too.

Joshua