Acer 12x8x32x model 1208

G

Is this drive any good and is it fully compatible with clonecd? Thanks.

G

So the Acer 1208 doesn't work with clonecd? Thanks for the suggestion with the TEAC burner, but I found the Acer one for really cheap so I want to buy that one if it supports clonecd fully. Thanks.

Hobbit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No, it doesnt and very few do. Waste your money then. You obviously didnt look up my previous posts on the W512EB Teac burner.

Balls, said the Queen if I had them I would be king!

G

Hobbit,

Hey, I just looked up your post about the TEAC and thank you very much. I found the TEAC for a little more than the ACER so I think I will spend the extra money and get the TEAC. Thanks a lot!

G

I think the drive I found is firmware 2.0A and not 2.0B. Does that matter? If so, where would I download the firmware?

Hobbit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, it matters. You must have firmware 2.0B for model W512EB... I have not tried the newer firmware C or D. I know B works. Do me a favor and try D after downloading it from this link. If it doesnt work I will help you by searching for the 2.0B firmware update. If the firmware D fails I will regret discarding the firware 2.0A - B update. Hopefully all the firmware updates work with everything and have not regressed. As long as you get a drive that has 2.0A firmware your fine since that can be updated to 2.0B firmware. Only about 5000 of the 1.0A-D firmware drives were manufactured and they are not clonecd compatable and dont have the burn proofing software and cannot be updated to the 2.0 firwares. Do not, I repeat do not, purchase this drive used on ebay since you will more than likely get the 1.0A firmware version. It is best to purchase it new in kit form in a sealed box from a reputable vender. I believe if you get a kit it has to be firmware 2.0A or higher. Additionally there is a firmware there for the W512SB model which is for the scsi version of the drive so ignore it. It is not for your drive.

http://www.teac.co.jp/dspd/download/download.html

To Repeat: This teac drive fully supports clonecd including write simulation, has burn proof, has a 4mb buffer, overburns and is just plain old reliable. I have tried to make it fail and it just wont! It is relatively inexpensive going for about 160 shipped. The plextor comparable model only has a 2mb buffer, cannot overburn and cannot perform the write simulation test with clone cd although that feature is hardly used these days.

Balls, said the Queen if I had them I would be king!

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Don't get bullied by Hobbit.
I have the Acer 10X CDRW. It is not on the clone CD compatibility list but it does work with clone cd. I love it. The Acer 12X is just the next-up model so there is a really good chance that it will work.
The Acer gets a bad rap sometimes and I can't figure out why. I have one and two of my friends have Acers and none of us have any problems at all.
And if you catch a good sale at Best Buy you just can't beat the price. For instance, this week at Best Buy, the Acer 10X is only $99. Not bad at all.

rfh1234

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2001
I have read everywhere that Teac, Sony, and Plextor will not copy CD's with SafeDisc2 protection. This is done on purpose by design as the companies are in bed with the makersa of that protection scheme. Plextor techs do not deny this either