Acer Acer XB280HK, 4k gaming and G-Sync?

Gdourado

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014
Hello, how are you?

I have been reading about 4k gaming and I would like to pull the trigger and get on the 4k wagon.
I would have to buy a new monitor of course and a new GPU Setup.
I have a few questions regarding that...

The monitor choice is basically the only 4k gaming monitor, the Acer XB280HK. I can get it for a very good price, and by selling my Asus PQ278Q I can get the upgrade really cheap.

My questions about 4K gaming is if it is really worth it? Some say that games become jaw dropping. Is that true? Is it such a big difference from 1440p?

The other matter is GPU.
I want to go either 290X crossfire or 970 G1 Sli.
The 970 is more expensive here. Around 120 euros more.

The thing is that the 290X has 512 bit memory bus and is ahead of the 970 sli in 4k benchmarks.
The 290X crossfire offers more performance in 4K, but the 970 Sli with the Acer XB280HK offers G-Sync...

What would be better? More raw performance and FPS or G-Sync?
What would make a better gaming experience and why?

Hope you can help me sort this out. :)

Thanks.
Cheers!

Solution
I'm reposting this from another thread I replied to a few minutes ago where the same question was asked:

I have two R9 290s in Crossfire and I'm getting ready to replace them with 980s for a few reasons:
1. Heat
2. Power draw
3. TERRIBLE drivers

This is the first time I've had AMD in years and I can honestly say that their drivers are total garbage. I've been troubleshooting for the past couple of months and swapped out every piece of hardware in my PC because I was having BSODs and freezing issues. When I swapped the Radeons with an old 660ti I had, all of the problems went away. The last three driver releases, beta or otherwise, cause BSOD boot loops and all of them cause random freezes in games. I'm happy to get away from AMD at...

Gdourado

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014
Just another thing. If I decide AMD, for a similar price, what would be better?

VTX3D 290X X-Edition
Sapphire 290 Vapor-X

They cost around the same. The VTX3D is actually cheaper.
The thing is if the Cooler, backplate and custom PCB on the 290 Vapor X is better than the 290X with all it's stream processors.

Also, the Sapphire 290X Vapor X is 50 more than the 290.

So, for crossfire:

VTX3D 290X X-Edition - 520
Sapphire 290 Vapor X - 560
Sapphire 290X Vapor X - 660.

With these prices, for an AMD setup what would be the better option?

Cheers!

Automatiic

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
I'm reposting this from another thread I replied to a few minutes ago where the same question was asked:

I have two R9 290s in Crossfire and I'm getting ready to replace them with 980s for a few reasons:
1. Heat
2. Power draw
3. TERRIBLE drivers

This is the first time I've had AMD in years and I can honestly say that their drivers are total garbage. I've been troubleshooting for the past couple of months and swapped out every piece of hardware in my PC because I was having BSODs and freezing issues. When I swapped the Radeons with an old 660ti I had, all of the problems went away. The last three driver releases, beta or otherwise, cause BSOD boot loops and all of them cause random freezes in games. I'm happy to get away from AMD at this point.

The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on three 980s in tri sli yet is because I'm waiting on the 8GB versions to come out this month.

AMDs cards are powerful, yes but that doesn't make a difference when stability issues crop up. My advice - stay away from AMD at least for awhile. Anything can change over time but right now, their drivers are shit.

EDIT: Just noticed that you are the person that I replied to on another forum haha.

Solution