Acer Announces Aspire One Cloudbook With Windows 10, Tiny Price Tag

Status
Not open for further replies.

macer1

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
looks like a good notebook for school. now if it has a decent battery that can last 7-9 hours this unit would be a great price.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
Finally, the netbook has matured. Look at the clean, gloss free, logo sticker less front. Good thing, they didn't made the mistake of putting an old Wi-Fi adapter on a cloud/net based device.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
"Tiny price tag"? what do you consider tiny price tag

Like 1 millimeter square. So small!

I kid. These things start at $170. That's just nuts. It wasn't too long ago that we finally saw low-end tablets crack the sub-$200 price point. These have full Windows 10 on board.

Now, about performance...we'll have to see. I'm not super optimistic...

athletics

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
2 GB is not enough to properly run windows unless u just load it up and stare at the screen. put 4 gb for a computer that runs 3x smoothly. put 8 gb and u can run office while running internet tasks. putting 2 gb in a computer is absolutely insanely stupid. are engineers making these decisions or business majors?

alextheblue

Distinguished
I do not like the name and I certainly do not like the concept , cloud ? - for me, no way

Except you're getting all caught up on a name. They run full Windows 10. Yes there's a focus on neat cloud programs and features, but there's nothing stopping you from using it for other purposes. This isn't a Chromebook. It can still do everything any other lightweight entry-level Windows laptop can. Get one of the 32GB+ models and slap in an SD card and you'd even have decent offline storage capacity.

fixxxer113

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
2 GB is not enough to properly run windows unless u just load it up and stare at the screen. put 4 gb for a computer that runs 3x smoothly. put 8 gb and u can run office while running internet tasks. putting 2 gb in a computer is absolutely insanely stupid. are engineers making these decisions or business majors?

8GB for Office and Internet tasks?? What kind of tasks? Cracking the human genome??

I ran Windows 8.1 and now Windows 10 (tech preview) on a 2004 laptop with 2GB of DDR1 RAM. It runs fairly well and most of the performance issues come from the fact that it has a crappy GMA 915 GPU. I might be able to eat up a lot of RAM if I have too many tabs open in Chrome, but for that kind of use 4GB is more than enough considering the new Celerons, disk drives and DDR3 are way faster than what my laptop has.

Status
Not open for further replies.