Acer Announces XR341CK 34-Inch Curved IPS FreeSync Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozen Fractal

Reputable
May 17, 2015
I thought Acer would implement a "fast" IPS panel, like 120Hz+, at least that's what we can expect from Acer when we listen to "New Acer IPS monitor".

Frozen Fractal

Reputable
May 17, 2015

Well, it is kinda 4K, just short of about 3 Mega pixels :p

mosc

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
The whole point of freesync is that you don't NEED crazy refresh rates to make things smooth anymore. In fact, Freesync doesn't seem to be able to cut the refresh more than in half so 144hz max might force you into some pretty high refresh rates and not really fix anything if your graphics can't deliver. 40-75 hz is a great range of playable motion with no tearing. It's already expensive enough!

My main complaint is cost. If I could get one more thing at the same cost I'd request more resolution going to 1600 pixels tall

This isn't a 16:9 or 16:10 display. It's 21:9 ( or close enough. ) It's like a wide movie letterbox. It's not as wide as triple 1080 of course, but it gives you that semi-panoramic view without requiring massive desk real estate. It's also 25% fewer pixels, meaning you can get away with a slightly weaker GPU for gaming. In terms of productivity, it's great for getting applications side-by-side on your screen. Otherwise I'd agree with you on wanting more height.

Frozen Fractal

Reputable
May 17, 2015

Freesync is just for making games smooth at unplayable frame rates (usually below 30 FPS, as they say). Inclusion of Freesync doesn't mean a panel shouldn't be any more fast :) . Newer (and upcoming) GPUs can already blaze 1440p to 60FPS+ meaning this baby will be too. That in turn means end users will notice more tears and artifacts at higher refresh rates, or just have to cap out a GPU at 60 (or in this case 75) FPS (MAN!!!!! So this is how it were to be used? Ohw! Great feature, never noticed it before, up until now :p )

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Nvidia needs to drop G-Sync and get on board with Free-Sync so we can get a standard.
This monitor looks amazing but I currently have an Nvidia GPU. I just can't accept being railroaded into one brand of GPU or another.
I must be able to make a choice between the competition at the time of purchase.

Bartendalot

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Nvidia needs to drop G-Sync and get on board with Free-Sync so we can get a standard.
This monitor looks amazing but I currently have an Nvidia GPU. I just can't accept being railroaded into one brand of GPU or another.
I must be able to make a choice between the competition at the time of purchase.

I thought you can use freesync with Nvidia cards?

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011

Technically it could be possible so long as the cards have display port 1.2a which is exactly what people have done with a special driver on laptops. Nvidia won't allow it though as they wan't to sell the special G-Sync chip. They are arseholes but they make some good products.

Frozen Fractal

Reputable
May 17, 2015

No, it won't. Think of a printed photo. You can look at it flat, or can curve it a bit, without losing any details, or distorting the photo. This is how curved monitors work, and the idea is to make the display more immersive, along with keeping pseudo-fixed distance of the display from your eyes.

poochiepiano

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010

I think it depends on where you are relative to the monitor. For most applications, it should be fine. In fact, you would probably perceive less distortion than you would with a traditional flat monitor. But I have never used a curved monitor before so maybe it requires some getting used to. I bet our brains are already wired to compensate for the distortion of a flat screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.