Acer aspire 5315 BT5/Vista stuck on grub error. Please help

Dayve1974

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
I had Backtrack5 in dual boot with Vista home edition. I deleted the BT5 partition and now I get Grub error. I have not got a live cd and only a burned Vista CD. i do have an original Windows XP cd though. when I boot from cd (the burned Vista disc) nothing shows on the screen except grub error. Can I use the XP disc to start from scratch on new installation or do a I have to have the live cd or the original Vista disc?

It sounds as if you just need to restore the original MBR. The rescue options from your XP CD should allow you to do this. If you can't boot from the Vista CD then it must be faulty.

Edit: Correction - I don't think you can use the XP CD for this. You'll need to find a good Vista CD. Alternatively, Google "Vista Restore MBR" for suggestions.

Yes it is possible. However:

GRUB needs a partition with grub installation files. These were deleted along with BackTrack. Easiest way to restore to normal working operation is to find a Vista CD/DVD/USB and use the boot repair tool.

No. When you deleted the Linux partition you deleted the Grub configuration and support files. You would need to reinstall Grub from scratch on the Windows partition (and I believe you would need a special version of Grub).

Don't look for a complicated solution when reinstalling the MBR is trivial. (I assume you have an MBR partitioned disk rather than a GPT one).

Dayve1974

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
So what would be the best and easiest way round this? All I want is Vista installed and not Linux any more. I am also having trouble finding a Vista CD. I phoned a few local computer repair shops and none sell them. Plan B would be to order one online but I would rather fix this issues ASAP. Also, would I be able to download an ISO of Vista and use that? Thanks again guys.

Dayve1974

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
I have downloaded the Vista ISO and burned to CD. I also made a bootable USB with the image file. I boot computer enter right key to boot from correct drive and still I only get error: no such partition...grub error !!! HELP

"What can I be doing wrong?"

There are a number of things that you can do wrong when producing a bootable CD from an ISO file and/or trying to boot from it. The commonest is to just copy the ISO file to the CD rather than using a proper image-burning program. You can test your CD on another computer to see if the problem is with the CD or your computer.

First thing you need is a bootable CD. Then you need to go through the correct procedure to boot from it. You say you "enter right key to boot from correct drive" but does this work with other bootable CDs? Usually you set a BIOS option to boot from a CD, although you can often select from a boot menu..

First sort out your booting from CD problem; then you can worry about repairing your Windows installation.

Dayve1974

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
I finally managed to boot from cd. Turned out that my HDD is faulty.(Wally me). So now I am in the command prompt of Windows, waiting for me to enter command. I have googled plenty and some answers contradict themselves and as obviously I do not want to mess things up again,I thought that I would ask here for expert advice. So what would the steps/commands be to continue fix the MBR. Thanks again

Dayve1974

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
Ok so I managed to fix mbr and I am now happily back in vista. I have a query with a partition but I will make a new thread for that. :) thank you very much to everyone who gave me their time and expertise. Thanks