Question Acer Aspire 5349 screen backlight is only working on charger. What to do?

Sep 29, 2021
Hello, I own Acer Aspire 5349 laptop (Core-i7, intel HD graphics 3000, 12GB RAM) and I have got a problem. Not long time ago my screen started acting weird. When I was on baterry screen backlight started to blink but after some time it stopped and everything was OK. But now it is here again but worse. Backlight turns on on baterry only for few seconds then it start to blink and then it goes black (I can see the screen with torch and I am able to connect it to external monitor where is everything fine). I thought that somewhere in the wires is bad contact but I tried to move with them and it had no effect. I searched on google and found that maybe digitizer is dead but in this case backlight won´t turn on at all. Screen on laptop works fine only if it is connected to charger. If I disconnect, screen turns black. So, do you have any ideas how to fix this problem? New screen is kinda expensive and I don´t know if there is really problem in the screen or on the mainboard. Thanks for help. - Gamemaster

Sep 29, 2021
If the battery is removable, you might want to buy or borrow a replacement battery to see if the problem still persists.
I had old eMachines laptop that died. Luckily, some parts like keyboard and battery were exactly the same like in new laptop. I have already tried swapping battery from old laptop (where it worked with a charm) but same problem. Backlight flickering on battery and then goes black. (Battery Is not new but I guess if there were no issues on old laptop, it won't be the problem.

Last edited:
I had old eMachines laptop that died. Luckily, some parts like keyboard and battery were exactly the same like in new laptop. I have already tried swapping battery from old laptop (where it worked with a charm) but same problem. Backlight flickering on battery and then goes black. (Battery Is not new but I guess if there were no issues on old laptop, it won't be the problem.

In this case, one of the components that control the LED back-light could be faulty (error happens while in battery mode).

Did you try to disable all battery saving features to force the computer to run in maximum performance before unpluging the charger?

Sep 29, 2021
In this case, one of the components that control the LED back-light could be faulty (error happens while in battery mode).

Did you try to disable all battery saving features to force the computer to run in maximum performance before unpluging the charger?
You mean in Windows?

Sep 29, 2021
Yes, there should be a power manager in Windows.
Sorry for late reply... I checked every setting in power manager and there is nothing to block screen LED backlight. I turned off all screen saving options but problem is still here. One more thing: The problem also occurs without system. On boot logo and even in BIOS is screen dark without charger.