Acer Aspire 6930g backlight not working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lookerup

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
so I'm trying to fix my aunt's laptop a Acer Aspire 6930g model. The problem is the backlight is dimmed to it's lowest settings. I don't know how it got like that and as cocky as i was, i proposed that i can fix it. I thought of adjusting from power option from control panel, virus check, and using the FN button functions (f5/f6?). Then there i came to the conclusion that maybe the backlight is dead. I was wondering if there are other options than taking the thing part by parts out because of a possibility of a warranty MAY be still valid.

The only solution i came up was connecting the laptop to a monitor.

Solution
Ahh thanks jarotech, couldn't remember the name for the life of me. Yea I think replacement inverters are fairly cheap, and I think if I am not mistaken we used one from a different model 17" screen to fix it, so they may or may not be interchangeable on the same screen size but I am not sure. It might be the best place to start if your warranty is out, but mostly cause if I am right its quite cheap to try.

You might need to try a good video or walkthrough for that series of laptops, cause usually service to change it is expensive.
I have another idea it could be. I would check the warranty first, but it happened before while I was in a computer repair class in high school we had a laptop with a very dimmed screen. It wasn't black, but it was far darker than was good. Anyways, there is a small part that works with the LCD and in some way controls the brightness of the screen. I don't remember what its called right off, but I am trying to remember. Anyways, if thats it its just a little maybe 2 inch long rectangular chip which the power goes into and then is sent on to the LCD. We changed it on our system in class and the screen lit up fine, but just an idea.

lookerup

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

Lol thanks for the tip.Guess I'm gonna have to check on the warranty.

lookerup

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

must've been neat to have a computer fixing course. But the interior could be different,no?

If your warranty is not valid, you will need to change the "inverter", IInuyasha74 is referring to. Or the backlight itself. Sometime it's something else, this is mainly the reason to check the voltage at the components to identify the defective component.

lookerup

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
Sadly I'm not good with laptop hardware, i don't want to do any unnecessary damage just because it's not my laptop. Even if it there was a defective hardware, it would cost more for the service than the item itself.

Ahh thanks jarotech, couldn't remember the name for the life of me. Yea I think replacement inverters are fairly cheap, and I think if I am not mistaken we used one from a different model 17" screen to fix it, so they may or may not be interchangeable on the same screen size but I am not sure. It might be the best place to start if your warranty is out, but mostly cause if I am right its quite cheap to try.

You might need to try a good video or walkthrough for that series of laptops, cause usually service to change it is expensive.

Solution

lookerup

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
If i'm correct the warranty is good for a year for this laptop, so that's out of the question. like i said i don't want to do any unnecessary damage to the laptop, unless it were my own. but will look into it though.

Yea it takes some doing, but if you are careful and remember where everything goes you can do it. Just be easy with the case so it doesn't crack and make sure your aunt knows first, but really if you don't get it changed having a dim laptop sucks so its worth the relatively small risk.

Hopefully the inverter fixes it. Did you find one on Ebay yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS