Acer aspire 7540 specifically but HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1gel

Reputable
May 7, 2015
The max size workable claimed by Acer is 500G OK. but is there a wired C and D scenario in laptops similar to desktops?
Reason is - I want to upgrade my upgrade.
I previously changed the standard 300G for a 500G working fine, but now I wish to fit a dual (mechanical HDD and SSD drive).
I am wishing to fit a 500G HDD that has 60G SSD RAM included. To put the OS and a few progs in SSD and my data in slower HDD.
I know there are other types of hybrid hdd that are just a HDD with a chunk of SSD RAM in front of it as a Flash buffer to give the slower mechanics chance to catch up and look like SSD performance to the OS. Some modern HDD's even have what we used to call (years ago) Neural network software to learn what you do most and they teach themselves how to increase the package HDD efficiency.
Any comments thanks.
Nigel.

I think you're confusing Windows' limitation on ram here (win pro & ultimate OS's are limited to 512GB ram) or possibly the OEM specs (none of the Aspire 7540 models come with more than 500GB HDD, some less). I am unaware of any HDD /SSD or hybrid drive size restrictions outside of physically fitting in your laptop. Crucial says they will guarantee operation of their 1TB SSD in there, I can't foresee any issues going to the hybrid drive. One other thing to note (which will probably be more comforting than my confusion here) is that even though it is a single unit you want to put into your laptop, the laptop will see that hybrid as two very separate drives neither one of which is larger than 500GB
Summary: It'll work

Status
Not open for further replies.