Acer Aspire 7750g 2nd hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigshane

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015
So I am revisiting the age-old challenge of adding a second hard drive to my Acer 7750g, and after no luck finding the special bottom cover plate made for this purpose, I ran across this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2nd-Hard-Drive-SSD-HDD-Caddy-Adapter-For-Acer-Aspire-7750-7750G-7750z-AD-7587H-/291003747246?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c12ccbae

which is an ebay ad! for a kit which will convert my optical drive slot into a 2nd drive bay.

Does anyone have any experience with this method, and can share their lessons learned?

Shane

Sigshane

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015
Well, I did it, and I have to say the overall result is great! I would probably recommend against using the 2nd hard drive for anything other than storage, however. I tried to execute a program that was there, and I had stability issues, and the program eventually crashed. Moving that folder over to the same spindle as the OS seems to have fixed that.

Also, I had originally created a partition on the 2nd drive strictly for Google Drive, but that caused runtime errors. So I created a folder on that same partition and dumped everything in there, and it was happy after that. (Apparently, Google Drive does not want to use the root of any partition as its local folder.)

The install was super easy too - just had to remove one screw under the back cover that secured the optical drive, pull it out, and slot the new one in. The faceplate with the eject button came off the optical and onto the 2nd hdd caddy with no problem at all.

Review: A+!!

Shane

That's awesome! I'm happy for you, Shane!
Hope everything continues to work flawlessly in the future!
A friendly reminder: Always keep backups of your data off-site as well! Better safe than sorry, right? :)

Best of luck & Happy Computing! :D
SuperSoph_WD

Enrico Molero

Reputable
May 6, 2015
Sigshane, I need to ask you a question. I've upgraded my Aspire 7750G with a second HDD as you did. Actually, i moved my old HDD to the second slot and added a SSD as main disk, but i'm experiencing a kind of overheating of my old HDD in its new place. Are you experiencing the same issue? Its temperature rises up to 56°C without even using it...

Edit: solved! just switched the HDD with the SSD!

Cheffreygriffin

Reputable
May 28, 2015
Hi there

I just uploaded a video of how to get the SSD in there- it takes some special measures, but it works great. I'm now running my laptop on a fresh install of windows on a 250 gb Samsung SSD while using the original as data storage.

I know this is probably late for you, but hopefully it will help out some other people who also are looking for a solution.

Youtube link: https://youtu.be/nDUxJfBUUqo

Have a good day :)

Status
Not open for further replies.