Question Acer Aspire A315-41 Power button no longer works

Aug 15, 2020
Hi All
I have an Acer Aspire A315-41 that has what seems to be a very common problem. It will no longer power on unless another key is pressed, for example the CTRL key.
Apparently this is a short circuit which requires a KB replacement. Holding down the CTRL key or other will keep the power on, but once released it will shut down.
I have tried all the solutions on the Acer forums (battery reset etc) and Acer tech support is non-existent.
Warranty expired 6 months ago, isn't that always the case? I'm a student and don't have the money for the parts and labour.

There are two possible bandaid fixes that i have identified. I have questions about both.
  1. Power on with CTRL key (or other) and then tape that key down or put a weight on it. Will this damage the laptop? That's my only concern.
  2. A user posted a possible solution. Plugin an external USB KB and then go into device manager and disable the internal KB. Apparently this works well. My concern is what if the laptop needs to be powered off? Given the power button is part of the internal KB and that it has been disabled in Windows, is it possible to power back on or have i just bricked my laptop in a way. If the external USB KB is unplugged, will windows recognize this and restore the internal KB, allowing the laptop to be powered on once more.
Answers or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, especially during this pandemic. Thanks!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS