[SOLVED] Acer Aspire A315-51 laptop battery problems, is it the battery or laptop hardware?

Satearn

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2015
I have a fairly new laptop, an Acer Aspire a351-38G5

It runs on battery and at about 50% is suddenly shuts off, then I plug it back in for like 5-10 minutes, and it recharges back up to 50%. It goes from 0 mWh to over 10 000 in a few minutes.

Then it runs and extra hour this way, going all the way down to it’s capacity.
I’ve reformatted Windows 10, so that’s not the issue.

So basically it goes from 100% battery to 50%, then drops to zero…then charge it for 5 minutes and back to 50% and can run the rest of the battery as if there were no interruptions…

The new battery had 37 000 mWh when new, but now it only has 18 000, but still can get 2 hours out of it at least , by doing that little 5 minutes charge trick.
I ordered a new battery, but I think it might be the battery controlling hardware? I did drop the laptop on hard marble floor a while back. Would that bread the battery or the controller? It fell on it’s side, broke a couple usb ports, but apart from that all fine

Solution
All bets are off if you dropped it on a hard floor --- that could have damaged just about anything.

Best have it looked at in a laptop repair shop 'cos Acer won't fix it under warranty if there's signs of physical damage on it (like those broken ports).

TRENDING THREADS