Question Acer Aspire E15 E5-575G-52RJ laptop only shows backlight on screen, doesn't show anything

cwgzz

BANNED
May 11, 2021
So I have an Acer Aspire E15 E5-575G-52RJ laptop that I bought on Amazon quite a few years ago, and about a year ago it broke so I am trying to figure out what happened to it. I bought a new Dell laptop before the Acer laptop broke so I stopped using the Acer laptop for a few months when one day I needed to get a file I had on it, but to my surprise the Acer laptop didn't turn on, well it did, but only the backlight turns on. I can't get into the bios to reinstall windows, I can't do anything, and I tried connecting it to an HDMI external monitor and nothing showed up, and also the backlight only turns on when connected to the power cord. I know the battery is good because the Acer laptop was always able to be used when I charged it before it broke.

When the backlight is on (when connected to the power cord), if I press the power button it immediately turns off, so it's like the laptop isn't booting up or anything. Nothing whatsoever happens, just the backlight is on and that's it...

A few of my friends say it could be the motherboard, other friends told it could be the RAM card, but I haven't gotten any definitive answers as to what happened which is why I am making this post and any helpful advice on tips how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
So I have an Acer Aspire E15 E5-575G-52RJ laptop that I bought on Amazon quite a few years ago, and about a year ago it broke so I am trying to figure out what happened to it. I bought a new Dell laptop before the Acer laptop broke so I stopped using the Acer laptop for a few months when one day I needed to get a file I had on it, but to my surprise the Acer laptop didn't turn on, well it did, but only the backlight turns on. I can't get into the bios to reinstall windows, I can't do anything, and I tried connecting it to an HDMI external monitor and nothing showed up, and also the backlight only turns on when connected to the power cord. I know the battery is good because the Acer laptop was always able to be used when I charged it before it broke.

When the backlight is on (when connected to the power cord), if I press the power button it immediately turns off, so it's like the laptop isn't booting up or anything. Nothing whatsoever happens, just the backlight is on and that's it...

A few of my friends say it could be the motherboard, other friends told it could be the RAM card, but I haven't gotten any definitive answers as to what happened which is why I am making this post and any helpful advice on tips how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.
I’d suggest that it is the hard drive. If the manufacturer logo appears when you turn it on, it’s a good possibility. To test that theory, you need a flash drive with 8gb or more storage available. Follow this guide to setup the flash drive to make it bootable (it will be formatted and reset in the process).

After completing the previous steps, follow this guide to try to boot from the flash drive. On your device, you will probably need to do the following to enter the bios (according to Acer):

“As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press the F2 key, or the DEL key if you have a desktop, to enter the BIOS.”

If you need further assistance, don’t hesitate to ask. If you can, please include photos so we can see what’s going on.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
As I have said in my post, nothing showed up... only the backlight turns on, that’s it.
I experienced a similar problem with a Lenovo laptop that had a blank screen no matter what, it was still the hard drive. You can still try the steps in my previous post, they won’t hurt anything. It’s a test to determine if it is/isn’t the hard drive.

If it was the motherboard, probably nothing would turn on. If it was the RAM, it would likely show the manufacturer screen still. Can you hear anything like a spinning/scratching/clicking sound?

cwgzz

BANNED
May 11, 2021
I experienced a similar problem with a Lenovo laptop that had a blank screen no matter what, it was still the hard drive. You can still try the steps in my previous post, they won’t hurt anything. It’s a test to determine if it is/isn’t the hard drive.

If it was the motherboard, probably nothing would turn on. If it was the RAM, it would likely show the manufacturer screen still. Can you hear anything like a spinning/scratching/clicking sound?

I do hear the fan spinning, and I feel the warm air coming out of it... and there is no other sound... just the fan. I have an SSD where I used my other laptop to use the Microsoft Creation Tool to put a bootable Windows on there and still nothing happens. I can’t get into the bios, I can’t do anything, like literally anything at all, it just shows the backlight on the screen and that’s literally it.

cwgzz

BANNED
May 11, 2021

Here is a link to a photo that shows what I am seeing.

https://ibb.co/YQmFFyd

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
I do hear the fan spinning, and I feel the warm air coming out of it... and there is no other sound... just the fan. I have an SSD where I used my other laptop to use the Microsoft Creation Tool to put a bootable Windows on there and still nothing happens. I can’t get into the bios, I can’t do anything, like literally anything at all, it just shows the backlight on the screen and that’s literally it.

When you referred to the backlight, I thought you meant it was showing a black screen that was barely lighting up. Have you tried booting into recovery mode? If not, you can try the steps in this guide (choose the option ‘From a black or blank screen’ from the dropdown menu).

If you can get into safe mode follow the steps in this article, skip step 3 though. I’d also recommend going to the Acer support site and downloading the correct drivers.

Last edited:

cwgzz

BANNED
May 11, 2021
Have you tried booting into recovery mode?

No because literally my laptop doesn't boot... it just turns on this backlight thing and that's it, doesn't show a logo, doesn't show anything... I can't access the BIOS, I can't access anything, it just shows the black screen...

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
No because literally my laptop doesn't boot... it just turns on this backlight thing and that's it, doesn't show a logo, doesn't show anything... I can't access the BIOS, I can't access anything, it just shows the black screen...
Just to confirm, doing the following doesn’t do anything?
  1. Hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off the computer
  2. Press the power button to turn it on
  3. Wait until you see anything on-screen, then repeat (do this three times)

cwgzz

BANNED
May 11, 2021
Just to confirm, doing the following doesn’t do anything?
  1. Hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off the computer
  2. Press the power button to turn it on
  3. Wait until you see anything on-screen, then repeat (do this three times)

When I press the power button to turn it off, it just immediately turns off. I really don't think that it is loading anything when it is on and shows the backlight screen on...

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
When I press the power button to turn it off, it just immediately turns off. I really don't think that it is loading anything when it is on and shows the backlight screen on...
Since you cannot boot into safe mode, it's probably hardware failure -- not software....

the Acer laptop broke so I stopped using the Acer laptop for a few months
How did the laptop break? If you dropped it, any of the parts could be damaged. To determine which part(s) may be damaged, I'd suggest contacting a tech-repair shop near you.