Acer Aspire E5-574-54A8 Ram only shows 4GB on Windows when 8GB is installed

Oct 18, 2018
Hi there,

After seeing how helpful people are in this thread I've decided to post for the first time. I'm absolutely new to computer hardware , so please bear if with me if i'm not making myself clear or using the right terms.

I've recently decided to upgrade my Acer Aspire E5-574-54A8 (running on Windows 10 64bit) from 4gb to 8gb ram. I decided to go with Crucial 4GB PC3L-12800 DDR3L-1600M ram, as I saw it being compatible on Cruicial's website.

The problem started right after I installed the RAM, window only shows 4gb, while in CPU Z it shows 8gb. I saw that in the CPU Z Memory tab, the channel # is single, while in the SPD tab, the Cruicial ram ranks "Dual", and running in 1.5V. (screen shots below)

CPU Z and Windows
G99j2F8.png

4H2sETQ.png

2bs9qGG.png

oar47SK.png

Ram
Nc844iK.jpg

I've tried taking out the existing 4gb ram and only install the crucial ram, and window will not boot.
I've also tried system config => boot =? uncheck maximium memory
I've gone into UEFI but there's no options for ram expansion

Did I get myself the right ram? I'm starting to afraid what I've received isn't the DDR3L I thought it would be.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
The Crucial RAM is DDR3 running at 1.5V, not DDR3L running at 1.35V. Your laptop uses i5-6200U. Intel 6th Gen Mobile Processors only supports DDR3L and not DDR3
Oct 18, 2018

I've managed to get an exchange from Neweggs and now it's working properly. Thanks for replying!