Acer Aspire ES1-523-231L Processor Upgradable?

Jul 2, 2018
Hi there

Last Christmas I got an Acer Aspire ES1-523-231L which was running perfecly fine until around May when I installed McAfee Antivirus which started using up most of the CPU. The CPU is an AMD Dual Core E1-7010 running at 1.5 GHz which just is not fast enough for Visual Studio and Paint.net etc which I need for school purposes. Is the CPU soldered directly to the motherboard and if it's not is it possible to upgrade it to a better AMD processor? Thanks.

Solution
Most laptops have the cpu soldered directly to the motherboard, so probably not. Even if you did have the technical skills to replace the cpu, it would be difficult to find one that would be compatible, especially since the laptop is only a couple hundred dollars. You could always try reformatting the computer to fix whatever McAfee messed up, but it sounds like it isn't able to run what you need anyways. It might just be time to look for a replacement.

Oh and I never recommend McAfee because it is about as detrimental as a virus.

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
Most laptops have the cpu soldered directly to the motherboard, so probably not. Even if you did have the technical skills to replace the cpu, it would be difficult to find one that would be compatible, especially since the laptop is only a couple hundred dollars. You could always try reformatting the computer to fix whatever McAfee messed up, but it sounds like it isn't able to run what you need anyways. It might just be time to look for a replacement.

Oh and I never recommend McAfee because it is about as detrimental as a virus.

Solution