Acer Aspire m5200 CPU/GPU Upgrades

branden1997

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
hi, I'm new to the forums and have a question regarding updating my current Acer Aspire m5200 that I just recently booted up after a while. i'm looking at upgrading the GPU and CPU and was wondering if the ones I'm looking at would be compatible with my computers motherboard (RS740M03A1 8EKRS2H)

I'm looking at the EVGA Geforce GT740 FTW GPU, and either the AMD 8320e 8-core CPU or the AMD Phenom II x4 975e. Are these parts compatible with my system??

branden1997

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015

how would I go about installing each of these parts if I were to purchase them, I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to this stuff, I have some idea of what to do but I just want to make sure

thank you for your reply by the way :D

branden1997

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
[/quotemsg]
Smiles.......Actually, quite easily......... The slots are there for the processor and the graphics card.... The PCIE Express slot is there to accept the graphics card and you will remove the old processor's cooling fan, then the processor it self and replace both with your new processor and new fan... [/quotemsg]

so would the GPU be good enough for gaming at high settings with its 1gb memory?

lucaf

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Officially only the older Phenom generation (Phenom x4) is compatible with your system (and only up to 95W models) but since I have seen with my own eyes an Aspire M5200 running the newer generation Athlon II x2 245 processor*, I would not be surprized if it also runs succesfully Phenom II generation. But I would not try to install a 125W processor, instead I would try a 95W model, for example Phenom II X4 945.

(* Only that the Athlon II processor was not correctly recognized by windows, instead it was just described as "Athlon 2.9ghz". )