Acer aspire one d260 blank screen

brother79

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
I just bought a new D260-2dkk Aspire one. I powered it on and started configuring it to my liking and then shut it down. (Note: I had plugged in an SD card that I was using for Readyboost in Windows 7) . Later when I went to restart the computer the power light came on and the fan comes on for a second or so, but the computer does not boot up and the LCD screen stays black--nothing at all on the screen and it seems to be powered off. I do not see any other signs of life besides the power light, no sign of HDD activity or response to keys, the computer just seems dead.

I can power it off by holding the power button down for about 5 seconds. I tried all the usual things for this description from the web/Acer site and nothing has helped. I made sure the system had fully discharged its power (disconnecting all power/battery and holding down the power button for many minutes (I was desperate)) it sat overnight after doing that and still no change when trying it again.

I've found articles about doing a "blind flash" or crisis disk recovery of the bios, but they seem to be for other models of Aspire One netbooks as the procedure won't work (I tested the key combinations of holding fn + Esc then turning on the power). Can anyone help with a solution for this model of netbook? Is there another similar method (DYI) to fix this computer short of taking it in for return/repair?

mynameismud18

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
I, too, have the exact same problem. You described my issue to the T. Anybody have a solution? I'm wondering if it's not a motherboard failure. Because even the fan only stays on for about 2 seconds, then nothing but the power light and the battery light. When I hold the power button down to do a force-close, I hear the hard drive click as it shuts off.

mynameismud18

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
I, too, have the exact same problem. You described my issue to the T. Anybody have a solution? I'm wondering if it's not a motherboard failure. Because even the fan only stays on for about 2 seconds, then nothing but the power light and the battery light. When I hold the power button down to do a force-close, I hear the hard drive click as it shuts off.

Joemila

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
I had the same problem, it happened 10 month after purchasing the notebook the first time warranty cover the repairing the problem was the screen. Two month later the problem was the motherboard. The screen remains black while the blue light comes on, the CPU fan comes on too but after 3 seconds everything stops.
Acer refused repairing cause the warranty covers 12 months and this happened at 12 months and 7 days. It is made with cheap parts to last just one year. I will never buy ACER again

nwonkzxaxi

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
i have similar problem at hand. though i sourced 4 info and found a you-tube video that gave a clue on how to go about it, however when i followed the process i ended up with just booting into windows but still have a blank screen. i downloaded the right ware and followed due process and am gettn tired up! dont v d link 2 d video but u can google 'blank screen problems'....am @ a cross road ryt nw.