Acer aspire x3995 graphics card compatibility.

TheMinMan

Reputable
Oct 3, 2015
I was looking to upgrade my acer aspire x3995's graphics card, and was wondering what the best graphics card i could upgrade to (pci 2.0 x16 slot, the graphics card aroun 200€ preferably, probably a gtx 960 if it fits), if i upgrade my power supply and (if necessary) get a new case.
System specs (i dont know if this helps, i am new to this):

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz

Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GT 620
Dedicated Memory 2.0 GB
Total Memory 3.9 GB

16 GB
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (build 9600), 64-bit

I am looking to upgrade for gaming purposes.

Thanks for reading this, have a nice day!

Solution
The board can always be moved to a new case. But you would need to buy a new PSU as well. And if you have any expansion cards in it now, they won't fit the full size or mid tower size case. The hard drive and optical drive should swap over OK. But I don't know if the front panel header in the Acer board is compatible with the FP wiring of a retail case. Some OEMs (like Dell) like to use special proprietary connection interfaces for fast assembly line building.

TheMinMan

Reputable
Oct 3, 2015

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

If your system is in a slim line case and the PSU looks like the one in this photo: http://content.hwigroup.net/images/products_xl/155248/4/acer-aspire-x3995-dtsjleh001.jpg
...it is going to very hard finding a replacement for that OEM design that is anywhere near 400W. And you would need a low profile card design. Those don't come in very powerful designs.

TheMinMan

Reputable
Oct 3, 2015

Would changing the case to a larger one fix that problem (if it is possible), or is it the motherboard that is the problem?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The board can always be moved to a new case. But you would need to buy a new PSU as well. And if you have any expansion cards in it now, they won't fit the full size or mid tower size case. The hard drive and optical drive should swap over OK. But I don't know if the front panel header in the Acer board is compatible with the FP wiring of a retail case. Some OEMs (like Dell) like to use special proprietary connection interfaces for fast assembly line building.

Solution